Triple White Radisson Mattress Run

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Casey Friday, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I heard about the "Big Night Giveaway," I had to get in on it. I've only been in the points and miles game for about 2 or 3 years now, but it feels like it's been forever. This was my first mattress run, and I have to say, It felt freaking AWESOME!

My mother-in-law bought a triple white VW Beetle Convertible on ebay. We live in SAT, and the car was in DEN. Naturally, I offered to fly out and drive the car back. Did you know that there is a Country Inn & Suites AND a Park Inn in ABQ? I did, and I 'stayed' at both of them on the drive back to Texas.

[​IMG]

Colorado was absolutely BEAUTIFUL to drive through on this sunny June day!

[​IMG]

I stopped in Colorado Springs for lunch at a great little cafe that had gluten-free options for me. It's called The Olive Branch, and I can't recommend it highly enough!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, it was on to my favorite city in the United States - Albuquerque, NM! My wife and I go to the Balloon Fiesta every year, and I wasn't going to pass up an opportunity to spend an evening/night in my favorite hotel in the whole world - the Homewood Suites in ABQ.

Unfortunately, I needed to stop by two inferior hotels first, to get 94,304 Club Carlson points.

2. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Country Inn & Suites, ABQ

This hotel was... scary. The hallway to my room looked like a scene from The Shining, and the room itself gave me the willies. It was just old and not maintained. It was also in the middle of nowhere ABQ, so I'm not surprised they aren't motivated to maintain it. I stayed in the CI&S for about five minutes, shot some pics, tested the bed out (UNCOMFORTABLE), and headed to my next destination!

Oh yeah, I took all of the mini-sized toiletries too. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Park Inn, ABQ

This hotel was a tad bit better than the CI&S... at first. It's a water park hotel, so it smelled like chlorine pretty much everywhere. The front desk clerk was nice enough, but the rooms just felt... old. It wasn't terrible, and the beds were Sleep Number beds (which I like), but it just gave off a weird vibe. It's really hard to understand unless you've stayed in one.

I had my father-in-law complete a stay at a Park Inn in Dallas for me for this promo, and he said the same thing. I thought he was crazy until I walked into the room. Same old story - five minutes in there, test out the beds (relatively comfortable), and I was out of there!

And of course I took the mini-toiletries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tommy777, MissBurrill, wrxmom and 4 others like this.
  3. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Homewood Suites Uptown, ABQ

Like I said before, this is my favorite hotel in the whole world. Coming from two hotels that couldn't give a hoot about me, the Homewood always shows me that they value my Gold status and my repeat stays.

I was greeted in my (beautiful) room with a lovely amenity (not gluten-free though; anybody want some Milano cookies?) and one of the nicest notes I've ever read from a hotel. Hilton and the ABQ Homewood sincerely appreciate that I choose the Homewood every time I stay in ABQ, and I love that they do. This is what all hotels should be like.

Side note: I shopped at Whole Foods before checking in, as I always need to prepare my own dinner to adhere to my food intolerances. This is why I love the Homewood - they all have full kitchens and dishwashers that allow me to cook whatever food my wife and I require to stay gluten, dairy, soy, and egg-free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the Homewood Suites now carry not only HD channels, but HGTV!!! I've written about this before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my delirious state of mind - after driving a convertible all day - I mean to set my alarm for 5am; however, I ended up 'trying to account for the time zone difference' by setting it an hour early. Little did I know, that caused me to wake up at 3am instead of 5am. My iPod Touch was on CST. GAH.

Then, the unthinkable happened. There were no 24-hour Starbucks open on the route I took from 4am all the way until 8:30am. Four hours with no coffee, in the car. Crazy. I was SO happy when I found my Starbucks in Las Cruces.

[​IMG]

4. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Two days, three hotel stays, one triple white convertible Beetle with only 12,000 miles on it.

I'd say my first mattress run was an epic win.

[​IMG]

tommy777, MissBurrill, wrxmom and 5 others like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your mighty adventure with us, made for some very interesting reading!:)

6. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Loved the mattress run report!

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you gotten the (bonus) points for two Carlson stays on the same date?

Have you stayed at a Hyatt House (formerly Summerfield Suites)? I stayed at one in Colorado last year and it looked very similar to the Homewood you love. Since elite status typically doesn't mean a whole lot at these types of properties, it might expand your range of choices as you travel.

Casey Friday and uggboy like this.
  8. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is what I got from the two stays:
    [​IMG]

I haven't stayed at the Hyatt House, but I can tell you right now, Hilton is impressing me beyond belief with my recent stays, so I'm incredibly loyal to them at the moment. :) Thanks for the new suggestion though, for when they finally (if ever) screw up!

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    looks good!

It's not so much a matter of screwing up as a matter of having choices and options for me.

wrxmom, uggboy and Casey Friday like this.
  10. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what to think. At one time I had voted you as having the scariest looking avatar. You have the Lex Luthor look with the mean scowl and the bulging biceps. Then I see this report and you're driving a white Beetle. This has totally destroyed my perception of you. All I can say is...inconceivable...

11. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hah! I would love to defend myself by telling you that I was only delivering the white convertible Beetle to my mother-in-law, HOWEVER: I drive a 2006 charcoal gray diesel Beetle. Fail.

My only saving grace is that it's the car my wife had before we got married. I sold my car because we only needed one. Here's what I used to drive! (I miss it so...)
    [​IMG]

PS - That picture is from my P90X 'Day 90 Photoshoot', where I told my wife, "Now I need to get a photo of me flexing my biceps looking mean like the guys on the cover of Men's Health!"

MissBurrill and wrxmom like this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the Carlson properties were so bad, that you didn't use the nights even though you needed a hotel?

Casey Friday likes this.
  13. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup. :eek:

mattsteg likes this.
  14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope you do better on the redemption side then!

Casey Friday likes this.
  15. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning to redeem abroad, so it should be much better!

16. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Park Inn ABQ is high up on my list for worst hotel ever! The first time that I stayed there (put up on a corporate account), I positioned all the chairs in the room against the sliding glass door and the room door. Heard the police called for a domestic dispute down the hall. Vowed never to stay again.

And then there was the Big Night Giveaway. Luckily, I'm now a local and didn't actually have to stay in the hotel this time. But here are some photos from the two rooms my boyfriend and I were given:

What's the view from the sliding glass doors? The other hallway, bien sur!
    [​IMG]

And the other room had a balcony with a view of the roof (covered in shattered beer bottles) and the derelict pool area of the central courtyard.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Casey Friday likes this.
  17. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That looks absolutely TERRIBLE! The room I got was a Presidential Suite compared to what you got.

riverchica likes this.