Tripit vs Worldmate vs Kayak

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Gmietelski, Oct 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gmietelski

Gmietelski New Member

Status Points:
    I was using the Blackberry Travel App that I thought was wonderful for the price of "Free" It automatically searched my mailbox for reservations for flights and hotels and gave me travel updates for flights again for free.

Now, I moved over to the iPhone and now I lost my wonderful Blackberry Travel App and now I'm looking for something similiar but it is like buying a car Tripit has some features but not all and it is expensive I think for 49.00 a year. I also looked at Worldmate but I can seem to get a straightr answer if I always have to forward my trips or does it check my mailbox automatically.

Just looking for some advice out there before I purchase Tripit that seems to be my only option but the cost seems to be high especially because it is an annual fee not a one time payment.

dstober and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was using Blackberry travel and migrated to a Samsung Galaxy SII for work. I found that Tripit Pro is pretty good. I also liked it cause I could also have the software on my iPhone as well.

From a functionality point of view, they are about the same, I think that TripIt's a bit better with notifications, but sometimes it seems they offer too many notifications/alerts.

dstober likes this.
  3. Andres Fabris

Andres Fabris Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Gmietelski, Before you decide, please take a close look at Traxo (full disclosure, I am one of the founders).

Traxo Logo Tag.png

Traxo is a next-gen travel aggregator that has an "auto-pilot" mode which automatically imports all your trips directly from each travel account (Mint.com style), OR if you prefer you can also forward your travel confirmation emails (like Tripit or Worldmate) to plans@traxo.com. You also get mileage and point tracking, single-click auto-login, and a whole host of other travel organization features for the wonderful low price of FREE. One notable gap is that, although we have a mobile version of the site, we don't yet have a native iPhone app. The app is in the works right now, and will be available in time for the holidays. Would appreciate your consideration of Traxo and and any feedback you have for us on the product.

Regards, Andres (andres@traxo.com)

satman40 and dstober like this.
  4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Resurrecting a dormant thread as I'm interested in any first hand reports from users, as I've been using a mix of Trip It and Kayak Trips, and now have Worldmate Gold w/ MP PM...

dstober and edekba like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same place as you. I preferred kayak over trip it. I will see if I like worldmate once they upgrade my account to gold.

dstober likes this.
  6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I paid for Worldmate on the App Store. I like it compared to Tripit and Kayak for some reason.

One thing I don't like is that Worldmate can't do multi-destination in one itinerary. (technically...)

So for eg. my July trip:
    YVR-HKG-SYD-NAN-LAX-YVR

When it asks for the destination, it only allows you to type one destination. But when you add the flights , you are allowed to add whatever flight you want.
    [​IMG]
    Just annoying when it defaults your itinerary name to: Trip to Nadi,FJ instead of: Trip to Hong Kong, Sydney, Nadi, Los Angeles and Vancouver.

If you want it separated for the sake of organization. you'll have to create separate itineraries:

Trip to Hong Kong
    Trip to Sydney
    Trip to Nadi
    Trip to Los Angeles....
    etc.etc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  7. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used tripit and have changed to worldmate. Tripit was not worth the price of $49.00. I have been pleased with worldmate for years now.

jbcarioca and dstober like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just reviving this now since I've started using Worldmate more after P2...

Personally I'm not terribly happy with it. I don't think it's as good as TripIt when it comes to parsing itineraries, particularly confirmation emails from IHG. It creates a trip, but it fails to recognize the hotel name, etc. The same email will be parsed just fine by TripIt, which will even create the calendar entries for check-in / check-out and add all the appropriate hotel information.

I'll keep playing around with it for a bit but chances are that I'll revert back to TripIt soon. There's no point on having a travel organizer that you need to go back and edit all the entries manually after the fact... if I was gonna do that, I might as well have created the entries by hand in the first place.

jbcarioca and dstober like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still using Kayak and am generally pleased except for booking, which goes through Priceline and is quite horrible. Sadly, I did try that for some South African Airlines flights. I will not repeat that error. They could not do seat assignments, had no ida how to supply an Amadeus booking reference so I could do it myself and actually had a lower price on SAA directly but I looked too late…my bad! I knew better. I do like their itinerary trackers and notices. That is nice.

tondoleo likes this.