TripIt Pro - Ads

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by CrankyScott, Aug 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently I have found TripIt inserting ads into my online itinerary - I am a paid Pro paid member and was surprised to see this occurring. I contacted TripIt and here is the response:

"It is true that the 'Don't forget to add your hotel (or car) placeholder is now pushing some ads on our web site. First, please know ads are never pushed to our Pro users on our mobile apps. Ads pushed to our web site are viewable by all members.

That said, the ad should appear only if you do not have a hotel or car already in your itinerary and only if their is a vendor location in the city you are going to (e.g if you are going to Orlando and there is a Marriott in Orlando).

Also, please note you can delete this item permanently from your itinerary at any time by clicking the X to the right of the text. This hotel placeholder feature was a popular request from some of our users to have placeholder for items so they would remember to book those items, which is why we added this feature into the itinerary"

What do you think? Should TripIt be inserting ads on paid Pro accounts?

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    my understanding was that the pro edition eliminated ads. This sounds like a marketing work around to still get ad revenue.

3. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're paying for no ads, you should get no ads. It's as simple as that. I think there should be a setting to permanently turn off the option if you are a Pro member, as it can be of some help to a few.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed... I think if you're a paying subscriber they have better ways to put placeholders to remind you that you haven't booked a car/hotel, rather than inserting an ad.

Even if the feature is useful to some people, there should be an option in your profile to turn these "placeholders" off. :)

5. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does TripIt Pro have other advantages over the free version besides losing the ads?

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah you can track your FF programs and get notifications of changes, plus you can track flights for refunds and what-not.

It's nothing you can't do on your own with other programs, but I guess the advantage is having everything in a single place.

7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    You also get Hertz #1 Gold for free (if you aren't already a member) and one-year Regus Gold membership, which is basically free access to business lounges (a desk, Internet and coffee) throughout the world.

8. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kind of lame. That is why you are paying the extra money.

9. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also is there a thread on MP that has everyone's tripit names? I love Tripit but only track my stats because I dunno anyone to follow.