tripadvisor sent me LOTS of emails asking for verification

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by estnet, Nov 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got emails asking me to go to a link (which Doesnot show the review in question) to verify that I wrote them or they will be deleted. some are over a year old. these are not the usual ones that u get when first writing a review. thw url looks similiar but Im not sure this is legit, it seems really strange. has anyone else received these?

uggboy likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely sounds like a phishing expedition. Legitimate identity verification implies that the resource knows your identity to begin with. That's not the case with Tripadvisor or most other message boards. All they have are your alias, password, and contact email address.

uggboy likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes but the weird thing is that the link doesnt ask for any info:oops:

uggboy likes this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had one like that from them -- I'll get them saying my review is under review, has been posted, has been seen by x number of people, has helped y of them ad nauseum.

Sounds like hitting the delete key is the best option you could take !

DTWBOB

MX and uggboy like this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Phishing does not always require your input. When you click on a link and open that page, it may run a malicious script. That could infect your system with a virus or transfer data from your stored files & cookies. If you can't determine that an email is legit, it's best not to click on any links in it.

estnet likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    which is why i am asking if anyone else has experienced this. the odd thing is that all emails are from reviews I actually submittedmsomif pishing then s8meone has someone has access to the data base of real email addresses.

MX likes this.
  7. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received an email like that for a review I submitted yesterday. Didnt seem suspicious, it named the.specific review and the actual URL (not just what was displayed) was TA. Haven't received anything for old reviews as you did though.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'm used to receiving these for newly submitted reviews, but never got them for all the reviews I had ever submitted - thought it quite odd.