TripAdvisor fined in Italy for misleading reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Dec 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    TripAdvisor fined in Italy for misleading reviews

adrianors, anileze, daninstl and 2 others like this.
  2. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tis true. I don't trust "trip advisor " or yelp reviews anymore than I can throw them. There's an entire society of people out there doing nothing but writing false reports. It's like that ring of people who were in florida shoplifting and then reselling everything on eBay. World's screwey anymore. Some of it you can do by instinct. But "some" of the really horrible passive aggressive stuff is just annoying. Especially when you have willing customers trying to meet the very people who can sell them what they want.

Yes I get it I guess, you're not getting anything out of it , so just shut the heck up and stay out of it. Not possible for a lot of people.

Life goes on.

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like Tripadvisor but..... you can't believe everything you read on there. I usually take out the top and bottom reviews and read the average ones. The traveler photos of the rooms, etc. are very valuable most of the time. To me it's no worse than reading Yahoo news articles. It's hard to imagine that everything on the internet isn't true.

anileze, uggboy, bez7 and 4 others like this.
  4. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tripadvisor has a value to me and it's mostly traveller's photos.

anileze, uggboy, bez7 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    IF I take the time to look before going off the track. I filter the reviews by the reviewer's standing and home ID.

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I post on TripAdvisor, and when I do, its a detailed pros and cons based on my experiences. I also try to offer readers small little things that will benefit their orientation and approach to the place I am reviewing. For example, I will often provide details on how much I paid, time and route to a hotel from an airport, where checkin may be for regular and elite guests. Public transportation options, or where a hotel shuttle is located.

With all public opinion domains, YMMV, but often, the ones that are super glowing are the least valuable to me. And like Dublin_rfk, I look at a reviewer's profile as an indice. (same holds true of direct hotel reviews like on IHG or SPG.

anileze, HeavenlyJane, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought TripAdvisor didn't permit comments on hotel rates.

anileze and uggboy like this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like TripAdvisor, but I go into it knowing that the majority of people will post about a bad experience but not a good one.

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    "provide details on how much I paid, time and route to a hotel from an airport"

10. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read the mid-range reviews, take the edges carefully, and look at pictures. Also look to see other nearby places the reviewers have reviewed; much more likely to trust a review of someone who also posted restaurant/activity reviews in the area.

anileze, uggboy and canucklehead like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I interpreted the comment as how much you paid the hotel for the room, not how much was paid for airport transportation.

12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not heard of this rule before. Thanks for pointing this out.

13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mostly it goes into the extremes, from very very bad to very very good. Looking for balance becomes very important when reading TA reviews, plus what the reviewer posted before, consistency, choice and of course the ever popular photo section is of real value to us too.

Dublin_rfk and vickers like this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are always worth a look when reviewing a property on TA. Sometimes photos say more than a thousands words.

Dublin_rfk and anileze like this.
  15. ScooterTourSaigon

ScooterTourSaigon New Member

Status Points:
    Tripadvisor has a value to me and it made me like to travel! :)

16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    We
    Welcome STS!

uggboy and anileze like this.
  17. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like to use trip advisor to check if its really worth to go where I already planned to go.. but oh well.. I was at craigslist looking for some gigs and apparently people is paying you to review positively (ONLY POSITIVE FEEDBACK!), for several apps.. and they call these persons the App Ambassadors.. so.. despite of any review you heard/read from untrusted sources (and by this I mean anybody that may work for them).. use google.. somewhere people will say something "bad" or not about the place and you can take the average ratings as a good thermometer of what to expect when you get there..

uggboy likes this.
  18. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Knowing that my experience and background is unique I temper my reviews to the standard and level of the hotel being reviewed. In Manila I have stayed and reviewed a Marriott property and a 1 star airport hotel ( three actually). Each was reviewed from the prespective of the hotel's rating.
    All where decently rated.