Trip to Morocco

Discussion in 'Africa' started by alexmilepoint, Mar 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. alexmilepoint

alexmilepoint New Member

Status Points:
    Is anyone been recently in Morocco? How safe it for westerners?

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I'm fairly regular to Marrakech and over the past 15 years never felt unsafe in this city. However, a few years ago there was a bombing in the big square which did put a slight edge on things but recent hotel growth and increased presence of the national army seems to have returned this area back to a safe travel destination.

Can't speak for Fez or other cities and I think I'd still be comfortable in the Atlas and other surrounding areas.

4. Tracy T.

Tracy T. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just in Morocco at the end of February, and never really felt unsafe. I would absolutely recommend that you go! We (me and 1 male friend) flew into Casablanca and took trains from there to Rabat and Marrakech. The national language is Arabic, but most people spoke French (and English in the cities) and most signs were also in French and English.
    There were a few people (vendors, beggars) who approached us who were a little pushy,but we politely said no and kept walking and we were fine.
    The only time I ever felt unsafe was when trying to cross the street! Drivers there are not inclined to stop for pedestrians.
    Go and have a good time! Let me know if you have questions or want specific recommendations.