Trip to Ireland and more in 2016 - Help, please!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by robeast, Sep 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. robeast

robeast Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I apologize in advance if I posted this in the incorrect forum. I am hoping to get some guidance on a trip I'm planning to Dublin, London and maybe one other European (Brussels or Madrid?) city in February 2016. I'd like to spend most of my days in Dublin, 4 days; London maybe 3 days and the rest in the other city. I know that's quick but unfortunately I don't get much vacation days. :(

My main concern is knowing which airline(s)/routes to use to get there with my miles/points. I'm currently based in Honolulu, so I would probably fly to LAX or SFO with Hawaiian Air. Or should I consider flying to other hub cities/airports first? Also, I want to fly business/first for the long flight to Dublin or London.

Have to admit that I'm so overwhelmed with this, so any relevant advice is much appreciated! Please let me know if I there is anything else I should consider and/or if more information is needed. If it helps, here's my current miles/points balance:
    Hawaiian Airlines (HawaiianMiles) - 92,464.00
    Alaska Airlines (Mileage Plan) - 26,500.00
    American Airlines (AAdvantage) - 16,309.00
    United Airlines (Mileage Plus) - 3,783.00 (I just applied for the MP Explorer card with 50K bonus, so I'm hoping to fulfill this by October-end)
    Virgin Atlantic (Flying Club) - 1,500.00
    Amex (Membership Rewards) - 10,126.00
    Chase - 13,850.00 (awaiting 40K bonus by the end of this month)
    Citibank (Thank You Rewards) - 51,612.00
    Starwood Hotels, etc. (Preferred Guest) - 29,246.00

Many thanks!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can get to BOS, the BOS-DUB on Aer Lingus is a good deal. (Maybe not anymore w/Avios devaluation, but still bookable via UA I think...)

Flying into/our of DUB would be great to avoid the ADP of LHR ... so maybe out of DUB and into London/3rd City. BRU usually has pretty good avialability with UA if you book far our enough out of Chicago/DC.

Being that you're in HNL getting to the mainline will probably be just as far as flying from Chicago/NYC to Europe.

robeast likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    170,000 and 24 hours would get you to LHR, in J.via JFK. One way..
    140,000 and 32 hours would get you to LHR in J

Check with UA on the return.

600 k needed, at least...maybe more...

We often split them, to show the love...

Consider the train when you get across the pond..

Long way, need to stay longer, lot of adjusting for the body clock...

robeast likes this.
  4. robeast

robeast Member

Status Points:
    Thanks edekba -- cool, I'd really like to fly Aer Lingus so I'll definitely look at the BOS-DUB. But it'll probably be hard to get a biz class with them?

5. robeast

robeast Member

Status Points:
    Thanks satman40 -- Yikes, that's a lot of miles. Can I assume that's for the entire trip from HNL -> LHR? See, I'll probably pay for the RT flight from HNL to the mainland and back, then use my miles for the rest DUB -> LHR -> US. And like you mentioned, probably the train to another city. Yeah, it is a long way for me. But I did some adjusting when I took a trip to London/Paris earlier this year, so I kinda know what to expect. :)

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I budget the total trip, of course thing could get cheaper..and one could have a few bucks on the table..

I like Avois....they are still cheaper many time than AA Save Saver, depending on the miles flown..

Main thing be flexible, and everyone will be happier...

Lot of good advice on the board...

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe ... maybe not? Also look into the LAX - DUB on Ethopian Airlines. I found a few dates for a friend of mine when I was looking earlier this year.

satman40 likes this.
  8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try looking from hub to hub (oneway or roundtrip). Get to LAX or SFO and jump to LON or FRA. Also on the mileage ticket side oneway to a hub and cash (if necessary) for the local connections.

9. robeast

robeast Member

Status Points:
    Did you find the Ethiopian flights using United search?

10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes