Trip to France, Germany & Sweden - How to get there?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by fewtreezy, Dec 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. fewtreezy

fewtreezy Active Member

Status Points:
    I am planning on taking a trip with my wife and baby next June to Europe. I'm starting to plan it now and figured I'd use the best resources for points/miles. My goal is to spend as little money as possible (isn't that everyone's?). Priority is getting to France but would like to incorporate a stopover for Sweden. Maybe France first, go to Germany, and fly out of Germany through Sweden for a few nights and then head back to the states. I am flying out of Baltimore/Washington International (BWI). The advice I need is mostly with respect to getting the flight with the stopover. I want to fly first class, I will have a baby (a point of contention in first class :)) and my wife's flight will be a coach flight paid for. I would like to upgrade her flight to first class and book mine entirely in first class. Do all airlines require some kind of partial payment for lap babies? If not, which airlines are best to fly. Below is a list of all of my points:

BA - 47k
    Continental - 120k
    US Air - 24k
    SPG - 80k
    Amex MR - 75k
    Ultimate Rewards - 120k
    Citi - 17k
    AA - 75k

I can obviously apply for more credit cards in the next 6 months to bolster these to get enough points for first class rt. What airline should I use given I will be upgrading one flight and I will have a baby? I'm not too worried about lodging because I will use points/friends to stay. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not an expert so can't provide an answer to the questions you are asking. The only program I can comment on is British Airways.

You can use MFU on BA but you can only upgrade one class. So if you were to buy your wife a coach tix you could only upgrade her to WTP using points.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SPG, Amex and UR points should net you a nice balance after you transfer them. I'm inclined to say CO because you're already at 120k there, but I'm sure others are seeing possibilities that I'm not -- especially when you consider bonuses or status (or your originating airport).

Considering the infant, I'd imagine you're not set for positioning flights anywhere, although BWI is "not that far" from DC or even PHL (NYC might be pushing it) to use as departure points.

I

fewtreezy likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you can upgrade a coach ticket to first class (BusinessFirst on CO, yes, but not real first on a three-cabin plane). Besides, the miles + copay for upgrading a coach ticket to business may be close to the value of buying a first class award with miles unless your wife has a reason for wanting a revenue ticket (business trip? wants EQM?). I am also of the opinion that booking a stop over is easier on an award ticket, and having you and your wife on separate reservations is a bad idea with a baby in the mix. You have 240K CO miles if you transfer the UR. You'll need another 30K for two first awards, unless you are on a 2-cabin plane, in which case you already have enough for two business awards.

As for hotels, you have plenty of SPG and Amex points to redeem for hotel stays. Cash + points would be best.

fewtreezy and viguera like this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When you say "next June", I assume you are talking about June 2012. Is that correct?

Assuming it is, you might have a problem getting F award seats to Europe. Remember that all saver seats are capacity controlled. Have you looked for availability?

First thing you should do is look at the following thread and it will give you lots of information:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/newbie-guide-award-booking-without-elite-status.4124/

After you have looked at the thread then I suggest you come back here and post some of the information you have found as to availability etc. and then I am sure we can give you some suggestions.

Good luck.

fewtreezy likes this.