Trip to Fiji or French Polynesia using Delta Miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by broncob, Jul 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to plan a trip, but the options are making my head spin and I need some advice and help. I am planning a trip for two in early Nov 2012 from MSP. We were thinking of going to NAN or PPT. Because we are in MSP, we only have Delta miles and status, but we do have UR, MR and Capital One Miles that could be shifted around, if necessary. I was hoping to book two low-level business award seats. I can get from MSP-LAX on the dates within my window (leave Nov 6-7), but I am having trouble with the next steps. EF notes that AF has 3 seats available LAX-PPT, (Nov 7) and 9 available on a possible return date of Nov 14, but only as a flex award for Flying Blue members with elite status-I think I am out of luck on that since my husbands status is with Delta. I can't seem to get to NAN from LAX (through ICN on KE) either. Wandering Aramean shows no Biz seats available. I do get the W.A.T.T. inventory alerts that KE has 2 J seats on several of the flights I have considered, but since they don't show up under the KE award availability search, I am assuming they are not award seats. We had also considered AKL, but are running into similar problems. Last year I booked three low-level business MSP-LAX-ICN-PEK-CAN-LAX-MSP using Delta, KE and CZ with a few days in Seoul and a week in PEK and the hardest part to book was MSP-LAX, so I though I had a handle on how to get this done, but I may be in over my head. I also don't have any experience booking AF award seats. Has anyone booked a successful award seat on any of these segments (basically from the west coast to NAN, AKL or PPT) using Delta? Maybe I should go somewhere else-any suggestions as to what I should be considering? I basically wanted to get away from MSP and go somewhere that was relaxing, unique, "beachy" or fun-or any combination of those four-but "beachy" probably has to be in there somewhere.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    To get to French Polynesia with Delta miles you have the option both of Air France, which doesn't have daily service, and Air Tahiti Nui. Don't rely on the Delta website for searching award space, the website doesn't show Air Tahiti Nui seats and the past few days has been glitchy for even showing Air France seats.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're PM or DM, you should grab the MSP-LAX and vv seats for dates you want now and work on trying to add international segments you want. I think you should be able to do this by just taking domestic award tickets now and then adding segments later for more miles, but ask. You might need to add some Pacific flights now, in the sense of just picking anything at all and then changing the tickets later by substituting the flights you want.

4. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband is a PM so I grabbed two seats MSP-LAX-MSP. I have EF alerts on AF and TN flights for all possible dates what would work within the window, so now it is just a waiting game. I could not get any LAX-PPT award flights at all so I could not even grab some segments to change later as MSPeconomist suggested.

5. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey MSPeconomist or Gleff have you ever held or ticketed the same iten in two classes? For example, right now I have MSP-LAX (First) LAX-PPT-LAX (coach on AF and TN) and LAX-MSP (First). I have EF alerts set for Biz on AF and TN over several days, but today I was thinking-what if LAX-PPT-LAX biz never opens up? Then I would get charged the higher rate b/c MSP-LAX-MSP is in first, but if I wait too long, I may not able able to snag MSP-LAX-MSP in low econ-SO can I ticket another iten exact same flights, dates and people, but in econ MSP-LAX-MSP? That way, if nothing in biz opens on the international legs of the trip at least I would only be charged low econ the whole way.