Trip Reports Sub Forums?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Junca, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All. I am a big fan of Trip Reports in the many forms that they take. I have never felt that I could live up to so many of the hilarious, informative, curious, or outrageous reports that I have read, but I am preparing to do one after an Asia trip this Spring. New airlines, new F seats, new lounges, new destinations ... for me. So, I hope to become an actual contributor.

Anyway, the point of this thread is - I wondered whether MilePoint would benefit from some distinctions within the Trip Reports section, as compared to some other popular forums where it is a single forum.

Some reports are very focused on airline seats, food, lounges. Others include hotels, destinations. I would love to see more reports on trips to interesting and unique places on this planet. But I also really value, and have a good time, reading reports on how the better half live in first class (and it helped me book the previously mentioned Asia trip!).

I was thinking maybe we could have a few sub-forums. Perhaps some dedictated to (1) airplane travel itself; (2) hotels, (3) destinations, (4) activities, and maybe (5) a catch all for trip reports that cover all aspects.

Just a thought. Opinions?

Wurm, kiwi and roadwarrior365 like this.
  2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think by destination or class of service would be good. Hotels I am not sure for example in the Hyatt forum there are already a bunch of review threads.

3. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there enough trip reports at all to justify this? I think we would end up with dead forums with almost no traffic.

Most trip reports don't clearly fall into one category anyway. E.g. someone might report on flights and hotels, and someone else might concentrate on flights and destinations.

The class of service is usually found in the thread title, and many trip reports cover several classes of service.

I think if we eventually get a Wiki (or wiki-like forum posts), it could be used as a cross-reference of trip reports.

4. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a good idea. Actually, I was hoping that we could make the Trip Reports forum more accessible, so to speak, to members who may not otherwise get into trip reports. It can be intimidating when the posts are showing great detail of first class seats and food that I can't pronounce.

I dunno. I thought maybe having an area where people feel comfortable just posting about their destinations and adventures would be fun. I guess that occurs somewhat in the geographic areas forums, but not really to the extent I was thinking.

5. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing wrong with such posts here in trip reports and I am sure many readers (myself included) would appreciate this.

But an unpleasant problem is, posts showing first class seats and food do attract the most interest here (even if it's the same old first class seats and food already covered in dozens of earlier reports). This is indeed intimidating, but can it be solved by creating a separate forum? I am afraid this would diminish the readership even further, and would result in less rewards for the poster (that is, likes, replies and views).

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it is too soon to tell what attracts the most interest "here" :p - what I do know is "there" my TRs that have food pics seem to get more views/replies, etc. The "deeper" stories get less viewing/replies. And that is ok.

7. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand the usefulness of your idea. To me it isn't that big of a problem however, if a trip report isn't focusing on the things I find interesting I quickly notice and just don't read it.

As reports may cover several of the aspects you mention I think sub-forums would not be practical. Perhaps instead a tagging or category system? I would also like to have all the reports in the same forum to save time browsing many - the amount of trip reports is not that great anyway..

8. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you - I could never muster the courage to write a trip report. Especially one without any pictures...[​IMG]

9. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing to it - you put it on the level you like. You could describe your flight in 5 words or 500 words. There is no law how a trip report should be so write it like you would like it to be!

10. A directory

I would like to see a sticky at the top of the TR forum with links to all of the TR's separated by airline and/or class of service and/or short or longhaul.

Essentially, you would be able to see at a glance, a link to all the longhaul business class trip reports or more specifically, all the TR's on Airline X's First Class product.

11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rather than sub-forums I think tags would help but may need some work to ensure consistency.

QF029, JetSet, ThatJohn and 1 other person like this.
  12. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fully agree that tags would be a big plus. Not sure whether the forum system supports them however.

13. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that a tagging system might be best. Absent that, you could have three main categories" "Trip" (focused on the minutiae of the travel experience (especial those catering vendor catalogs disguised as trip reports [​IMG], true "Destination" activity reports, and a separate category for those reports that combine both aspects equally.

14. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay. Thanks for replies. I agree that the tagging or directory may be the way to go in intially setting up this forum. I read all kinds of TR's but if I am looking for specific flight experiences (oh, let's say BKK - CDG in TG F :D), the tagging/directory system would be beneficial.

Eightblack ... from FT I presume. You fit all the categories I mentioned in OP: hilarious, informative, curious, and outrageous! Great reads.

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  15. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Separated by classes would be great!

Junca likes this.
  16. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that some kind of tag system would be awesome if the forum could support it. Otherwise, I'm not sure it would be easy to categorize trip reports since many of them cross multiple classes, airlines, hotels and destinations in one trip.

Junca likes this.
  17. QF029
    Original Member

QF029 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree a tagging system (if possible) woule be the most effective. There are so many variations of airline, class, destination, hotels etc that putting a TR into one category would be difficult and members are unlikely to want to write multiple TR's for a trip. Personally I just love seeing all of the photos!

Junca likes this.