Trip Report: Park Inn Mechanicsburg

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by IkeEsq, May 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an effort to reach the golden Club Carlson trifecta for my wife and me, we spent two of our three Memorial day weekend nights at the Park Inn in Mechanicsburg, PA, with the other night at a Country Inn and Suites. This is the only Park Inn within 500 miles of anyplace I plan to be in the next couple of months and we already had plans to spend the weekend at Hershey and Strasburg at a Hilton, so it seemed the perfect opportunity with $85 government rates for Friday and Sunday nights.

We arrived at the Park Inn on Friday 5/25 at around 4:00 p.m. The reservation was in my wife's name so the three of us went in and I amused our 3-yo while she talked to the front desk. We are both Gold as a result of status match to free Accor Platinum, despite each having spent only a single night in a Club Carlson property (for the first Big Getaway).

It turns out that they do a "Guest of the Day" program and my wife was the Guest of the Day. This included a plaque on the wall by the front desk, and a special door mat:

Guest_Plaque.jpg Guest_mat.jpg

When asked about upgrading to the whirlpool suite, the guy at the front desk explained that A) it is a smoking room and B) it is right above the night club, which makes it loud until 2:00 a.m. I asked about getting it for Sunday night when we would be back for my reservation and they booked us into it, noting that the night club won't be open that night.

Other Guest of the Day perks include: 500 CC points, a complimentary appetizer and drink at Legends restaurant, two free continental/hot breakfast vouchers, and unlimited minigolf.

The Park Inn used to be a Holiday Inn Express, and certainly had that motel look, with most of the rooms in out buildings accessible from the parking lot. Our room was on the first floor and was nicely appointed and appeared to have been renovated recently:

Number.jpg Bed.jpg Bath.jpg Sink.jpg

The bath even came with a rubber duck! The grounds were nicely maintained and the minigolf course (11 holes, normal price $5 per person) was beautiful although the mats seemed a little worn.

Minigolf.jpg Indoor Pool.jpg Exercise.jpg Oudoor Pool.jpg

There was free wireless and everyone was very friendly and accommodating. For instance, when I went to get some cereal and milk in the morning to bring back to the room for breakfast, the restaurant manager went back and got me a glass of milk and allowed me to take a bowl, spoon, and three boxes of cereal back to the room. I handed him my complimentary breakfast certificates as I was not going to need them anyway.

Across the street is a Dunkin Donuts, TGI Fridays, Outback, and other restaurants. Rite Aid and CVS (24 hour) half a mile away. I 83 right next to the hotel, as well as Carlisle Pike, Rt 11, and Rt 581. It was 30 minutes or less to Hershey Park and an hour to Strasburg. I would highly recommend the hotel if you have children as there is plenty to do at the hotel and in the area.

On our return on Sunday, we got the Whirlpool Suite, as promised. We had just spent a day at Hershey Park and were quite toasty. The guy at the front desk asked if we wanted some water, I said "sure," he said "how many?" I replied "Three, please." He brought out three cold bottles of water, two of which never made it to the room. The Whirlpool Suite is located in the main building on the second floor. There is a lift up, but it requires a key. Having a 3-yo worth of luggage, we waited and sent our luggage up on a cart.

Lift.jpg

The room was nice, especially the huge two+ person hot tub.

Number.jpg Tub.jpg Bed.jpg Sink.jpg Toilet.jpg Shower.jpg

The hall and room smelled a bit of smoke but after the first 5 minutes I didn't notice it again. The ice machine outside and the A/C were quite loud, as were a couple of people on the hall, but it did not stop any of us from sleeping for about 10+ hours. Overall, an excellent room if the nightclub is closed.

Ike

2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds like the complete opposite of the one in Tulsa!

Would you have liked it as much if you didn't get guest of the day on day 1 and the upgrade on day 2?

Safe to assume you're at least Gold with CC?

Flying Bat and uggboy like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is good news, as it's the ONLY Park Inn property anywhere near me. I have to be "nearby" (40 miles away) in PA in mid-June, but I was hesitant that it wasn't worth the extra trip for the points. At least I know it's not a bad hotel, so I should be able to use it to complete the trifecta.

Flying Bat likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This property sounds comparable to the LH FRA FCT! ;)

Sounds like you guys had fun at least!

uggboy and viguera like this.
  5. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. I will be heading there end June.

Flying Bat, uggboy and viguera like this.
  6. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    As much? Probably not. However, it was still a good place to stay and the two pools, mini-golf, and proximity to things for <$100 ai was worth it. Not to mention the staff being really friendly and accommodating. It seems like upgrading to the whirlpool suite is not difficult to do. They appear to be required to warn everyone about the noise, so if you go on a day the nightclub is closed, you are probably golden.

Yup, both Gold.

7. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    11 holes of mini golf is, for lack of a better term, an odd number! less than $100 does seem very good for all that you received - especially considering the points you gained for the stay.

Flying Bat, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  8. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report! I also plan to visit this Park Inn to get my bonus points, as it is the only one remotely close to where I live. At least I won't be be terrified now. :D

uggboy likes this.
  9. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a follow-up, the points (except for 500 Guest of the Day points) showed up today for the 5/26 stay:

44,000 One+One promo, 2000 Gold Online booking, 1700 20X Spend, and 850 Gold 50% bonus = 48,550 (+500) for $92.65 (0.1889 cents per point). Mine should be the same minus the 500 GotD for 0.1908 cents per point. Not too shabby!

flyingdawg, jetsetboy and viguera like this.
  10. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going there next week to complete my trifecta. How was hershey Park?

I'm looking forward to the Chick-Fil-A nearby.

NYCAdventurer and viguera like this.
  11. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hershey Park was good. Being Memorial Day weekend, it was fairly well packed. We got in when the park opened and put my son on the Balloon Ride and Rocket Ship near the carousel. Then my wife and I went toward the back of the park (which was almost deserted) while the grandparents amused our son. We later took my 3.5 yo on his first roller coaster . . . six times in a row. So fair to say he is a fan of the Trail Blazer. He is also a fan of the 'Chocolate Cars' the ride at Chocolate World, which we went on about 7 times over three days.

12. Majikow

Majikow Silver Member

Status Points:
    IkeEsq, were you able to get the $85 gov't rate for both you and your wife? Did they check your ID?

I have an ID, but my fiance doesn't. She'd like to get in on this one too, but paying over $100 probably isn't worth it to us for the points. If I could book the $85 rate and let her accumulate the points, I'd probably go in for both of us on this Park Inn (I already plan to stay once for myself).

13. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did get the Govt (Fed) rate for both myself and my wife. We both work for the Federal Government but no ID check. In fact, I could have checked in under any name as they didn't make any attempt to ID either of us or even get a credit card (it was just charged to the one given at the time of reservation).

Ike

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I wonder if this would be a good hotel for proxy stays for those people much farther away. :)

15. Bobtray

Bobtray Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. I was just looking for a Park Inn today and decided it might be a good motorcycle trip from Northern VA. Also a nice heads up on the discount rate.

16. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report, heading there 2nd weekend of July for 2 nights. Coming down with my wife and my brothers family. Sounds like there will be plenty for us all to do, and I too will be looking for a Chick-fil-A.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    while still good, not what it used to be sadly. I can recall going out of my way when 'down south' to hit a Chick-fil-A when it was a super high quality product and none that I knew of were in the North.