Trip report: NH201 to London (ANA's new PY seat)

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by sendaiben, Sep 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

September 19 2012

Sendai ANA Lounge
    NH3232 Sendai to Tokyo Narita
    Narita ANA Lounge
    NH201 Tokyo Narita to London Heathrow

I've been looking forward to this trip, mainly because of the chance to try ANA's new PY seats thanks to their generous free upgrade for Platinum, Diamond, and SFC members. This time we were able to select PY seats as soon as Internet checkin opened. I plumped for bulkhead seats 25A and 25C.

Figured I'd have maybe ten minutes in the lounge in Sendai, but it was closed (along with Komatsu, apparently) until November. Supposedly we'll be given 500 miles for the inconvenience (no need to apply, they'll post automatically).

Could be a profitable autumn :)

It was a pretty ratty lounge, so I hope they spruce it up. Report once it reopens.

Boarding was smooth, we were first on. Today's flight wasn't one of the tiny Bombardiers, but rather a 767. Very pleasant. Flight time to Narita, about 50 minutes, most of which seems to consist of taxiing around.

Using the ANA transfer to international facility, we were through security and passport control in about a minute. Very pleasant passport control official. Procedures don't seem to have changed at all, at least for those who still have valid re-entry permits (mine's good until 2014).

The ANA lounge at Narita was a bit disappointing. The seats were great and it's a pleasant, well-lit lounge, but the food was very disappointing. Yakisoba was probably the highlight, alongside the made to order noodle bar. Other than that, small sandwiches wrapped in cling-film and very tired looking maki sushi.

Had a relaxing couple of hours until the flight reading Newsweek and Fortune.

Have to say all the ANA staff I spoke to were very good: everyone proactively suggested we should try to get PY seats (unnecessary this time, but I only found out about the benefit recently so good for those not in the know).

Boarded just after 11:00 for an 11:30 departure.

The PY section was about half-full, I guess pretty much all complimentary upgrades (it was empty yesterday).

One small (first world) problem is the crew member on our side didn't come round with newspapers before takeoff, so I had to ask for one (they brought them round once we were in the air, but I like having something to read for those 20-30 before I can pull out my Kindle app).

We're about two hours into the flight now. The food was okay, not great. Chicken pasta overcookd and bland, salads okay, Haagen Dazs a nice touch. It was edible, but I'm looking forward to the beef stroganoff next week more.

The hard product is great. I'm loving the new seats. Lots of room (I'm 182cm and comfortable), huge touchscreens (the bulkhead ones are larger than the seatback ones), power outlets, USB connector for iPods on the IFE, noise reducing headphones provided (although I didn't try them -got my Bose). The only problem I had is that the footrest didn't double extend -or at least I couldn't figure out how to extend it ;)

Film selection was good too -plenty for a twelve hour flight, although I'm going to have to save some for when I come back next week.

At this point, given my travel patterns, ANA has pretty much won me over. Very happy to be flying with them.

Just had a stroll around the aircraft a B777-300 (well, the economy and rear sections) and it's quite roomy. The Y seats are quite a bit more cramped 2-4-3 versus 2-4-2 (making me even happier to be here in PY). Still, it wouldn't be the end of the world to be back there.
    whkento, QSG, sobore and 1 other person like this.