Trip report MCO - FRA LH 465

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by IMRU, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked this trip in an upgradable economy fare. Unfortunately, the day before all available seats got booked. My seat was in Y, and on the 330, this is definately E-. I'm assuming that the reason that C booked up the last day is that LH upgrades process then. My GPU had to be presented at the gate. While the GA had no idea how to process a paper GPU, she figured it out quickly.

So enough of the upgrade whining. The one thing that stood out on this flight was how calm it was. Not nonresponsive calm, but ACTUAL calm. There was none of the hectoring over the PA that I've come to expect from UA, no "move in to your row" or "this is flight X" "Chase would like to give you ten million miles for your first child." it was complete silence with FAs roaming the aisles helpfully. The flight boarded amazingly fast even though there were at least 6 different priority lists. Adding to the calmness, everytime the seatbelt sign went on there was no screaming "seat belts please" or "the captain has turned on....." I think that's an anglo thing, the Virgin Atlanatic FAs are absolutuely Stalinisitc about seat belt fastening

The seats were much worse than UA: narrower and less padding. In E- (there was no E+) the seat in front of you actually leaned into your face. However, when meals were served, the FAs enforced their rule that seats were to be upright, which made eating easier. The movie selection paled in comparison to UAs "on demand" selection. The only drama was Cider House Rules. 1 drama?

I've gotta say the food was much better. While UAs has been improving (No more banana bread for breakfast) it really doesn't compare. In addition, when I went to the galley and asked "Is it possible to get another (free) congac? The F/A's response was "ja, of course, let me make you a double with ice."

Of course what was missing E+ Unfortunately, I'd trade the silent cabin, bad food, and no free alcohol not to smell the hair gel of the woman in front of me.

sobore, uggboy, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know this was a Lufthansa trip, not a UA trip, right?? ;)

Sounds about like a typical LH Y flight, IME. Especially on the food side of things; Lufty has been doing much better with that lately.

3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown MCO-FRA a couple of times in the past year and your experience matched mine. The food and service is good; the IFE is not great; it's quiet; and the seats are a little bit uncomfortable. Overall, the big plus of being able to fly direct to Europe outweighs the negatives for me.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    All is good here. :)

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  5. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That all makes sense. Without free E+, I would struggle to see many reasons to fly UA. With free E+, most everything else fades into insignificance.

6. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno, the IFE was pretty pathetic, but I do think that UA could step up the breakfast a bit.