Trip report JFK/SFO in coach

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dhammer53, Apr 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if the 321 upfront is special, seems AA forgot to do something about the back of the plane.

From my son:

Huge business class and small first. No emotion or character in the seats. Seems like the Mcdonalds of business. That said I wouldn't say anything bad if I was in the seats! No buy up offered at check-in.

Coach is small. This flight was made with business in-mind. Seat has great leg room but the cushioning is lacking and the seat overall uncomfortable. The armrests are weirdly low. I have to slouch to get my elbow to rest. The seats each come with power and USB access. They are found in the seat back in front of you. Great location.

The touch screens are large, but a little hard to control as you scroll through, hard time going one by one. But the screens are large so they are good. My only issue is the movie selection. Limited.

All said and done, it's a good trip to SF. Just a little uncomfortable in the seat.

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    But not as good a trip to LA? ;)

edekba and uggboy like this.
  3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I get for posting just before bedtime. My son flew to SFO. :eek:

edekba likes this.
  4. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Your son is right on the money. The Main Cabin Extra seats have the extra legroom, but that doesn't really help with the comfort. The seats are just plain uncomfortable...and seem a little narrower than the 767 seats.

That said, the business class seats are pretty comfortable, and the positioning is good. I was actually able to sleep on a recent redeye from LAX to JFK.
    I have now been on the 321 about 4 or 5 times, and I am overall pleased with it.

Seat6A and dhammer53 like this.
  5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love it when these things happen. My son, and soon to be father, was checking in for his flight last night. His meetings ran early and he decided to take the redeye home. He had a conversation with the agent about his upcoming lack of sleep. He's been bragging to everyone that he's going to be a new father. ;) Anyway, the agent tells him she can't let that happen. He ended up flying home in business class. He e mailed me this morning that he was well rested.

I haven't read anything about agents handing out free upgrades in a long time. I think I'm going to try this next time I fly. Oh wait. :D

dh

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your soon to be expanded family, dan. Always nice when these human-touch things still happen at the airport.

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 6' 1" (1.85 meters) son had a complaint about the biz seat. The armrest didn't go up, and he felt like he was in a coffin. He did manage to sleep for a couple of hours. That's the price you pay for all that aggravation. ;)

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your son likes looking gift horses in the mouth, huh?

I don't think I'd be complaining much about an upgrade I paid $0 for...

9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    He's a Flyertalker, and they/we have a right to complain. It's our birthright. ;) :D

dh

Christian Martinez likes this.