Trip report from the inaugural 748i flight FRA-IAD

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Wandering Aramean, Jun 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey there everyone...I was one of the lucky few on the flight. :D

Officially seated in Y but I spent a decent amount of time upstairs hanging out with the cool kids, too. She's a beautiful plane and an incredibly smooth ride. I was also quite impressed with the new Y seats, though I certainly wouldn't object to being in C or F instead.

I started writing up my experience on the 747-8i (albeit a bit out of order because I figured folks would want to read about the actual flight more than the pre-party) while on board and I'm putting more up as I can. Here's some of the text I have there.

[​IMG]

The new seats offer a surprisingly large amount of room at the knees, thanks to the slimline seat design and relocation of the magazine stowage. There is also no metal bar across the rear of the seats at the bottom where it normally would dig into your shins. Oh, and a pillow and blanket at every seat.

The cushioning of the seats was my biggest concern. Turns out that the concern was mostly unfounded. My previous slimline seat experiences were on short-haul aircraft and those are not particularly generous in the padding department. The new Lufthansa 747-8i coach seats were markedly better. They aren’t luxe, by any stretch, but I didn’t find sitting in them for several hours to be particularly uncomfortable at all. Yeah, they are still coach seats, but they really aren’t that bad.

The seat pitch isn’t any greater than the other Lufthansa economy products so I was somewhat concerned about using my laptop (10" netbook) and otherwise take advantage of the space at my seat. With the seats upright I had no troubles at all. I could actually cross my legs and rest my computer on my lap reasonably comfortably.

The seats are most definitely a new and different experience and I got to sit and lay down in them.

[​IMG]

They are fully flat and 1.97m long when in sleep mode. This is quite a welcome change to the product for most folks. That said, they are also a bit narrower and the pairs of seats (2-2-2 on the main level and 2-2 upstairs) point in towards each other. This means the foot well space is shared by the passengers. It also means that the seats feel a bit narrower throughout. One friend I was chatting with about the seats noted that the narrower layout was a negative for him and that he preferred the older version. I can see where he’s coming from but I like the new one much better, at least so far.

The seats are well-padded and the controls to manage the positioning are intuitive. The seats are quite comfortable throughout the range of the recline.

I'll post more as I get it written up and uploaded and will share here as well. Feel free to ask questions. I explored everything except F so I hopefully can answer.

2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    nice report. Thanks for sharing!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    So there is no divider in the footwell in C? You just play footsie with your seat ate all night long?

Edit: looked at the picture a little closer and I can see next to the pillow what looks like a divider.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there is a divider. Your feet are still mighty close.

5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The explanation from the LH folks at ITB in Berlin in March when the seats were introduced was that passengers wanted more separation at the shoulder level and would not mind the proximity of the feet as much.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though the feedback received throughout the test period was to do something about the feet area???

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't I just read somewhere in some report about the 747-8 launch that LH is planning to change this layout for some of the future deliveries they take?

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the rumor- which, if correct, has to be an alltime award winning implementation of a new business product.

9. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably the simplest move is to move the leg area from the adjacent corners to the side corners, and move the in-seat magazine storage to the opposite side..