Trip report from the 787

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by Wandering Aramean, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Day three of scheduled service and I got my chance to fly. It was a lot of fun; great atmosphere surrounding the flight and LOTS of others on the plane with cameras out to document the event.

Overall the cabin was quite comfortable and I mostly enjoyed it. The rainbow light scheme is a bit trippy, which can be good or bad, depending on your point of view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only minor quibble is that there was a high pitched whine going on the whole flight. One friend has suggested it is related to the LED lights. That could be annoying if it is a long-term issue. But overall a great experience.

Read more (and more photos) here and here.

mynameismud, Chimpy, jupper and 10 others like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean,

THANKS for sharing! :)

That rainbow light scheme does look a bit weird...;)

ACMM likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great video - thanks for doing and sharing ! Enjoyed it! :)

Chimpy likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whine is not good news. I am stil young enough to hear the high-pitched noise from some televisions, computers, and other electronics. It can be very annoying. But although I've tracked down these whines to lots of different things, I don't think I've ever found LED lights to be the cause. My finger would be on the IFE.

5. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder whether it is possible to fully raise the arm rest in the middle of the '4' section or if there is a fixed part which would prevent turning the four seats into a cuddle class like experience.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to check the center armrest (and I really meant to).

The whine is worrisome to me. I hope it is just a one-off or something about that flight, not overall.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine that the Boeing guys would have shipped it with this as a standard "feature".

Then again, Apple shipped the iPhone 4 with an antenna design flaw and the 4S (or rather iOS5) with a battery problem, so what do I know...

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Was just talking with someone else about the whine who was on it the day prior and he noticed it, too. Most of the noise testing was likely done before the interior was fully fitted because it was focused on exterior noise coming in to the cabin. If the noise is from the IFE or the lighting system (it did keep going after the engines shut down) then it might not have been part of the main testing initially versus something that came about later.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    or as we'd say in enterprise software... let the customer do the integration testing in production :)

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about the window size? Noticeable enhancement? Dimming work as advertised?
    Not sure if you hand a window seat but was curious.

11. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent write up...thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to get on one too.

12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read the post on your blog too- nice job! However from what you described for the coach seat dropdown instead of recline- I took a flight on Cathay a couple of years ago which i think had the same thing. It seemed great at first but was extremely uncomfortable!

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did have a window seat and it was quite obvious how large the windows are. I put my elbow at the bottom of the window and could barely reach the top with my finger tips. It is huge. Being a night flight it isn't clear just what the impact of that extra space is other than more darkness outside, but I can imagine it will be significantly better. The dimmer was a bit sluggish in response but it did dim and un-dim as advertised.
    I didn't find them uncomfortable (and the UA 772 new config I had last night was similar, too) but if you are taller than ~5' 8" then it could be a problem for your knees when you recline.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  14. irrawaddy

irrawaddy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aramean,

How was the air quality/pressure? Was it noticeably better?

Wandering Aramean and Chimpy like this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't notice anything special in the humidity level though it was a short flight. I also don't really remember much about the pressure, though I don't think I was clearing my ears as much which is easily attributed to that. I'd need a longer flight to really notice the effects, I think.

irrawaddy likes this.
  16. irrawaddy

irrawaddy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right! You do need something longer than 4-5 hours. I'd love to try the 787 on TPAC/TATL routes that's where all these inovations in climate control should come into play.