Trip Report: Country Inn & Suites Winchester, VA

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by IkeEsq, Jun 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

This was stay 5 of 6 for my wife and I in the Radisson BigNightGiveaway II, which should net us just over 300K Club Carlson points. This was initially intended as mainly a mattress run. The hotel is about 1.5-2 hours from home. The excuse to drag my wife and son across the vastness that is Virginia was that for my birthday I got 3 laps around the track at Summit Point in a Lamborghini Gallardo.

Summit point is about 25 minutes North of Winchester and Luray Caverns about an hour-and-a-half South, so we figured we would go up to Summit Point in the morning, stop at the hotel for a nap and swim, then head to Luray Caverns, stay over, and back home.

We arrived at the Country Inn & Suites at around 1:00. I went to check in and was welcomed as a valuable Gold VIP and given an upgraded room. Called a "Studio Suite" it was a bit bigger than the normal rooms and had a pull-out sofa. The person who checked us in was really friendly. We had to wait 5 entire minutes for our room to be ready, so I went out to the car and got our stuff.

Bedroom.jpg Desk.jpg

We arrived in our room to find a gift bag with two mini-waters, two bags of Lays chips, two chocolates, and a little massagy-thing. No, not THAT kind of massagy thing. In addition, there was a note welcoming us. Not too shabby for a $77 stay. We convinced our son to take a nap, and got back up at a little before 4:00. It was a little late to be heading down to Luray, so we decided to sample the local entertainment. A mile down the road there is a place called Appleland Sports Center, which features mini golf, a driving range, batting cages, and go-karts. We whiled away an hour or so there and then headed back to the hotel for a 6:20 movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema across from the hotel. Sadly, when we arrived at 6:00 we found that the show was at 6:00 and was sold out. On the plus side, it was Madagascar III, so I am guessing I did not miss much . . . at least much good. So we went back to the hotel and enjoyed the pool for a while before retiring for the evening.

The room has free wireless and complementary breakfast. We got up in the morning and had breakfast, packed up, and headed down to Luray. Overall, not a bad stay, especially given the rate and the plethora of kid-friendly activities to do.
    flyingdawg likes this.