Trip Insurance Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ducster, Jun 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week, my mother booked a trip to Europe this summer, and today she went to buy travel insurance. For some reason she couldn't do it on the website, so she called United. They told her that as of February you have to buy the insurance within 24 hours of booking the ticket. I have never heard of this, nor does it say anything on the website. My sense was that she got an agent who knew nothing. Anybody have experience with this?

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can buy travel insurance from other vendors other than United.

But if you want to use United's partner: http://www.etravelprotection.com/UnitedAirlines/

Haven't heard anything about 24-hour policy, but you should look at what is excluded -- if anything arose between purchasing the ticket and purchasing the insurance, the insurance may not cover.

carsonheim likes this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can also go to insuremytrip.com and get quotes from various agencies. Make sure to look at the coverage and find a policy that covers what you need.

4. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that's exactly what she did, and the price was cheaper than what United was offering. She also noticed that in her reservation the option was still there to purchase the insurance, and she got all the way through the credit card screen, but didn't hit Purchase because she was afraid it would work after already purchasing something else.

5. alfred vachris

alfred vachris Member

Status Points:
    I have found usaa offers travel insurance -generally a good value