Trip in Vain???

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Mapsmith, May 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a flight in about two weeks. Scheduled to go help my In-Laws move into Assisted Living. Unfortunately my Father-In-Law passed away this weekend and my Mother-In-Law, now will not be moving.

Would this be a Trip in Vain. or am I stuck with non-refundable tickets.

Thought I would get some opinions before dealing with Delta.

(And if it is a Trip in Vain, will I lose the value of the tickets? If so, will I get the miles from the trip? I know this seems crass after losing my FIL, but if I have to deal with fighting Delta, I figured I might get some idea of what will happen)

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    First off, my condolences on losing your father-in-law may he rests in peace.

Never dealt with Delta, but it doesn't hurt to call, you might get a sympathetic agent.

Counsellor likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for your loss.

This is not a trip in vain. That only happens on the day of travel. Here's DL's policy on the topic:
    http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/agency/useful-resources/cancellation-and-revision-fee.html

MX and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please accept my condolences for your loss.

I had no problem having a trip canceled greater than a month in advance with tickets which were not refundable; and it only took one quick telephone call — but that was with a relative and not an “in-law.”

Regardless, that should not stop you from calling Delta Air Lines; but do so with low expectations so that you are not disappointed.

5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Hopefully the Delta Agents will be merciful.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry about your loss. I would expect you to be successful .. there are some compassionate people working with all the airlines and my opinion is based on my own personal experiences in two similar circumstances in recent years with both AA and US

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've yet to meet an organization which did not consider parents-in-law as immediate family. DL's published policy is to provide this waiver; I cannot see any issue with getting that done.

8. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not think so either; but I have no personal experience regarding ticket changes pertaining to “in-laws”, which is why I did not post that definitively.

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had problems when my wife (fiance at the time) grandfather passed. We tried to cancel/move dates on flights with UA & VX. Both said sorry, but you can cancel and we can give you flight credit... btw there's a $100+ change fee. I could understand my ticket since officially we weren't related yet, but they wouldnt do anything for my fiance at the time either...

If Delta does what everyone is saying than good for them.

And condolences to you & your family. We just had a funeral ourselves last week.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UA ha a published $50/ticket administrative fee for such changes but otherwise will waive the normal change fees & such. Not sure about VX's published policy.

edekba likes this.
  11. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please accept my condolences to you as well, edekba.

For the record, I was not charged anything by Delta Air Lines.

edekba likes this.
  12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In one of the instances I mentioned above the passenger was not related to me only that we were booked on the same PNR .. AA refunded the full business class fare to FRA.

edekba likes this.
  13. schlaffa

schlaffa Active Member

Status Points:
    Earlier this year my fiancee and I traveled AMS - PHL on US because her father was hospitalized. When we found out he had terminal cancer we extended and also cancelled a separate planned trip to GVA on Easyjet. US allowed us to cancel the return leg and said we would have to pay a change fee when we rebook it. Easyjet said that they would give us a credit less some fairly large cancellation fees. Unfortunately my fiancee's father passed away very soon. When we rebooked on US they said they would refund the change fees if we can send a copy of the death certificate. It took a while to get that refund but it did come through. Also, I called Easyjet who said that due to the death they would also give us credit for the cancellation fees. I would have to say that I was impressed by how easy and quick Easyjet were to deal with.

14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta was accomodating. They sort of refunded the fare. I now have a credit for the fare with Delta and they did not charge any fees. I just have to rebook on Delta in the next year. Not a complete refund, but minimally acceptable.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you press them, citing the policy I quoted above?

16. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah. I figure that I can use it later this year. and it was only $200.

Wandering Aramean likes this.