Trip in Vain & ORC

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Efilon87, Feb 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had booked a mileage run SFO-LAX-JFK-SJU. In fact, this was my third attempt to do this mileage run. The two previous times I had to cancel because of work and weather. This cancellation is a whole different story.

Both layovers had about an hour each for the connection. The flight out of SFO was surprisingly on time and landed at LAX a little early. Since I had an hour layover, I went to the Admirals Club. I went down to the gate 25-minutes before departure. The board said the flight was in its final boarding process, but the flight crew was still in the terminal and the plane was not yet at the gate. Doing some quick math, I began to realize that I wouldn't make my connection in JFK. Then, my name was called. I spoke to the gate agent who told me that due to a mechanical issue with the plane, the departure was delayed 90+ minutes, thus I definitely would not make my connection. All the other flight options were booked full and also delayed. So I called the Executive Platinum desk and explained that this was now a trip in vain and that I needed to fly back to my origin (told this to the gate agent, and she didn't know what I was talking about, regarding the trip in vain, and told me that it wasn't possible). I double and triple confirmed with the EXP agents that they notated the change of the ticked was involuntary and was a trip in vain. And just called back after I hung up just to re-re-re-re-confirm.

Now, since I wasn't going to make my connection in JFK, the rest of the trip was cancelled and I was rebooked from LAX-SFO for later that morning. That flight was already delayed 20 minutes when I made the change. Shortly after making the change, I got an email stating that this flight was now delayed 90 minutes.

The EXP agent sent a message to Customer Relations, to have them refund (issue a travel voucher) my trip for the remaining funds.

I would like some input. The original ticket was $357 for about 8,800 EQMs. I am going to be sending a letter to CR, but I don't know what the expected/usual compensation is for a situation like this.

-Can I request ORC for this trip since it was an involuntary change?

-Since both flights were delayed 90 minutes, what kind of compensation should I expect/ask for?

-Do you know how they are going to factor in the refund/voucher amount for the unused flights?

If you have any questions or need more info, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!!!

~Efilon87

2. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ***UPDATE: I just checked the original flight AA #2, LAX-JFK, and it is now delayed 360 minutes (6 hours).

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure you'd get OCR if you never flew. My best guess is that you'll get the refund and few token miles for your inconvenience.

Then again DL issued me a 4k mile credit for 2k mile trip that was cancelled when the inbound went MX, so I suppose it couldn't hurt to try.

4. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten ORC on a separate ticket that I couldn't fly, due to a cancellation (no crew) for a flight as part of a MR. I had an AUS-LAX with a LAX-BOS nested inside. The flight cancelled at BOS and I had them send me back to AUS from there. So I received ORC for BOS- LAX and LAX-DFW-AUS. They also let BOS-DFW-AUS stay.

When I called, I told them I was on a MR and was doing the trip for miles. I did NOT want a refund, I only wanted the miles I would have flown. They said no problem and the miles showed up. This was a few years back (2009??? Not sure) so policy might have changed... Or I got a good agent. :)

Short story long, explain your situation nicely and hopefully that will get you the credit. But forgo the refund request if you get the miles - don't get greedy. :)

viguera and Efilon87 like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that you get miles or a refund but not both. Trip in vain usually being flown back to your origin and getting a refund.

viguera likes this.
  6. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I got ORC on my posted occurrence, I was also offered a refund. Not sure it would have went through, but I nipped it in the bud by saying I wanted my miles and did not need the refund.

I'll say this - an AA fault cancellation is far more likely to get one ORC than weather. But I've received both. I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but I did find being concise with the reason for your trip/routing helps a great deal. If you want the miles rather than a refund, then say so. No guarantees, but that's all we got.

OP is asking about ORC. If an agent assumes she/he wants a refund, then it is up to the pax to make the intent clear. Again - don't get greedy and that will help a great deal.

Efilon87 likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only had one trip in vain and that was SFO to Florida about 3 years ago that had me stuck at DFW in transit for about 6 hours. Turned around and just flew home after a series of flight cancellations to Florida. Agent in the AC arranged full refund and I received a voucher somewhere down the road. Did get my original miles SFO-DFW-SFO which actually surprised me with the full refund. Thought they'd take those back.

I'd be surprised if you received the miles for segments you did not fly in addition to a full refund.

Tom in Philadelphia

Efilon87 likes this.
  8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I just sent an e-mail to Customer Relations explaining the situation a little more. At the end I asked that in lieu of receiving a refund or voucher that they post the original EQMs to my AAdvantage account. *fingers crossed*

davef139 and SpecialK like this.
  9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how it turns out, @Efilon87 ?

Those 762s only have to last until June, can't they just play nice until then? :(

Efilon87 likes this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was precisely my case a few years ago when AA had a promo on MSP-ORD.

AA was offering a nice bonus based upon the number of roundtrips you did. The promo was only valid during winter.

Not surprisingly, weather caused 2 of my flights to be canceled, and thus the promo, in my case, to go awry.

Considering I had to be back at work the next day, I opted for the refund since due to not completing the flights I'd be ineligible for the promotion bonus.

11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was expained to me that you can get possibly get ORC but not a refund on the ticket then. I have now flown 3 trips on AA. I have pending trip in vain for two of those as I just submitted another last night, thankfully the exp desk knew exactly what I wanted. A bit will depend on how the refunds department will look at it also.
    I think the main trip in vain courses of action they do are Refund or rebooking (1week timeframe?). I know United has been much more generous when I used.

12. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've received mileage credit for the segments I had already flown before TIV plus the mileage from TIV location to get back home as well as a full refund of total ticket price to voucher. I have not gotten an ORC in those situations though. Also when routing back home from TIV, they will also put you on any flight(s) - even those with Y1 - so in a few cases I have been able to take a VDB on an oversell on the TIV return..

13. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for your input!! I am now just waiting to hear back from CR in response to my email. Do you know if CR has a phone number or is it all done by email? Thanks again!!

14. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you already sent the email there isn't any real need for a phone call, especially since this isn't a pressing matter.

Efilon87 likes this.
  15. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA CS only work M-F from 9-5 CST. The only way I've ever talked to them is a warm transfer from EXP agents. No phone number I've ever called direct - just emailed them. However talking to them is almost never required if you have status of some sort and then agents can just submit for you.

Efilon87 likes this.
  16. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received a response from AA:

Dear Mr. Efilon87,

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations via AA.com. We apologize for your disappointing experience when traveling with us on February 7 to accrue this mileage.

While we can appreciate your request, it is not our policy to extend qualifying mileage for segments that remain unflown. While we understand the reasoning behind your decision to return back to SFO instead of completing your trip to SJU when this operational issue occurred, we are unable to provide flown mileage credit for the unused or unflown segments. I am sorry to disappoint you further.

While we are unable to honor your request for qualifying mileage credit, we have authorized a Customer Service Bonus mileage credit of 8,000 miles as a gesture of goodwill. You should see this adjustment in your account shortly.

We hope to welcome you aboard again very soon. It will be our privilege to do so.

17. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And there is more to this story. After receiving that e-mail from CR, I decided to call into CS. I explained my story and what had happened. The agent sympathized with what had happened, she too was a mileage runner before she got a job at AA. That plus the LAX-JFK flight ended up getting cancelled that day (6 hours after scheduled departure) helped my case. She put me on hold and told me she was in the middle of posting the ORC to my AAdvantage account. EQMs and RDM w/bonus :).

18. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky day for you. They have amazing CS for exp with special issues in my experience as well.

Efilon87 likes this.
  19. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And finally the conclusion to this story. When I spoke to CS and they posted the EQMs and RDM w/bonus, I was very appreciative and thought that was the end. Well it seems CR kept working on the issue after the EQMs and RDMs were posted. I received this e-mail this morning:

Dear Mr. Efilon87

We are sorry you did not complete your recent trip as planned and we would appreciate another chance to serve you. Accordingly, we are returning to you the full value of your original ticket in this voucher. It's valid for one year from today and you can use it to purchase travel on American/American Eagle for anyone you choose.

Sincerely,
    C.C.
    Customer Relations
    American Airlines

I'd say this worked out better than I expected. I got the EQMs AND the full value of the ticket returned to me. Thank you AA!!!

MSYgirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  20. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man, you got soooo lucky :)

Efilon87, MSYgirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  21. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    + 1 :D

Efilon87, MSYgirl and foxberg like this.
  22. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yah, I was actually expecting the email to say that since I took the mileage, I was not eligible for the voucher/refund. Got to figure out a way to use those funds quickly before they realize what they have done and try and claw it back. ;-)