TRIP FROM HELL on United

Discussion in 'IAH/HOU | Houston Area Airports' started by mjordan1108, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mjordan1108

mjordan1108 New Member

Status Points:
    Booked a flight out of Beaumont, Texas to Houston, Tex on September 4th. I confirmed my flight received my boarding pass and my seat assignment. When I got to the Beaumont airport I was told it wasn't a FLIGHT but a bus. I asked for a number to call and tried for 2 hours on the bus ride to contact customer care only to be put on hold at one time for 45 minutes.
    I paid an extra $150 for my flight for the convenience to fly into Houston.
    I could have taken a regular shuttle for $38, but due to my back I had to fly...

The bus arrived and had no air... it was 98 degrees outside and the bus driver never apologized for the lack of air nor asked if we needed to pull over for water, restrooms, etc.. it was a 2 hour drive to the airport in Houston.... I was dehydrated and in pain when I reached Houston. The manager in Houston said the only thing he could do was give me a $10 voucher and instructed me to send United an email regarding my experience. Since IAH does not have free wifi I had to sit outside the United Club to pick up their wifi from them... it's been over a week and I still have not received a response from my complaint... when I called customer service today I was put on hold several times only to be told they would have to call me back. When I spoke to the supervisor he could not transfer me to anyone else above him, apparently Mr. Palo Cruz does NOT deal with customers as directed by Lance (employee J5) the only other way to have this issue reconcilled was for them to call me back after they reach customer care who apprently does not work weekends!

May I add, I was issued a boarding pass that indicated FLIGHT NUMBER... When I called customer service it indicated: "are you calling regarding FLT # from BEAUMONT TO HOUSTON" etc. NOTHING ever said BUS drive to HOUSTON.

iolaire likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well although your entire experience sucks, I should point out that there were several announcements and press releases from both United and Jack Brooks airport that the United (dba Colgan) Saab 340Bs were going away and that the service would then be replaced as of July 1st with buses.

It's no excuse for bad service on the shuttle bus itself though.

Scottrick likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even with elite status, it takes a long time for me to get email responses. I suggest you continue calling. Make sure you call during business hours, as most true customer service does not operate 24/7 like reservations.

hulagrrl210 and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. mjordan1108

mjordan1108 New Member

Status Points:
    Maybe so... but there were no warnings when booking the flight on UNITED.COM nor and again everything indicated FLIGHT number.. NOT BUS ROUTE. I do not live in that area so press releases and annoucments would not reach me in FLL.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it could be argued that United's systems were not designed for buses, but I get your point. I think using the buses was United's last resort when they couldn't get someone else to fly the route, or perhaps it's a temporary solution. I don't know of any other markets where United (or anyone else) is running a bus service, so I wouldn't be surprised if they never updated their system to account for this.

I should point out however that if you look today -- and I understand that this was probably not the case when you booked -- BPT-IAH "flights" today do have a flight number, but it's clearly marked that this is a bus service.

united-bus.PNG

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty surprised that any airline would sell a bus segment without clearly marking it as such -- just for their own protection. I see from viguera's post that at least at present it is clearly marked. I guess I would ask the OP if he or she is 100% certain there wasn't some kind of notation on the original booking screen or itinerary.

Honestly, if I were the airline, I'd have an extra check box in the booking procedure to avoid any question about the purchaser having seen the warning.

7. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, it looks like they're even charging a full Y fare for that bus ride as well :) .

viguera likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!

When did you book the flight? Is it possible that the route was at booking time operated by a regional aircraft and then later switched to a bus? I think typically when the equipment is changed, the reservation on united.com is flagged as changed and you are asked to accept the change. Not sure if it auto-confirms after a while with the "new" website.

hulagrrl210, 8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    EWR-ABE.

RT, 28 Sep, Return 30 Sep.
    It's all yours for 955RT, ai. :eek:

Flight: UA6540
    Operated by UNITED EXPRESS BUS SERVICE.
    Aircraft: NOTE: This is Bus Service
    Fare Class: United Economy (Y)
    Meal: None
    See On-Time Performance View Seats

Flight: UA6542
    Operated by UNITED EXPRESS BUS SERVICE.
    Aircraft: NOTE: This is Bus Service
    Fare Class: United Economy (Y)
    Meal: None
    See On-Time Performance View Seats

IkeEsq and viguera like this.
  10. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    BPT-IAH service changed from Saab to bus on 7/1/2012. I booked a flight prior to that date and received a change notification email about it going to bus service. Bus service is clearly noted on the timetable as others have pointed out.

YULtide and viguera like this.
  11. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    If an MP reader can't figure out its a bus....dang.... Must be really confusing...

12. Lex82

Lex82 New Member

Status Points:
    Mjordan1108,
    Wow. I was also just booking a flight to Beaumont and it clearly said "bus service," which is what prompted me to Google it and find this post. While I agree United is a terrible airline, your complaint seems very diva-esque. It sounds like you should be mad at yourself for not paying attention, rather than blaming it on the airline. There is a reason they are lowest on the polls.

13. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. So you get air miles for riding the bus?

gregm, uggboy and Sammich like this.
  14. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    That's the most likely scenario, as UA will currently only sell the BUS segment if you are connecting to/from a UA flight:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.0/Diamond - Operational Info: UA 6546/01 Nov 2013]
    Code:
                     Planned Flight Info
    Segment          Departure  Arrival    Duration
    -------          ---------  ---------  --------
    IAH-BPT          08:15/Fri  10:15/Fri  02:00
    BPT-IAH          10:40/Fri  12:40/Fri  02:00

Segment          Flight Note
    -------          ---------------------------------------------
    IAH-BPT          X/ ONLINE CONNECTING OR STOPOVER TRAFFIC ONLY
    IAH-IAH          A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC
    BPT-IAH          X/ ONLINE CONNECTING OR STOPOVER TRAFFIC ONLY
    IAH-BPT          OPERATED BY UNITED EXPRESS BUS SERVICE
    BPT-IAH          OPERATED BY UNITED EXPRESS BUS SERVICE
    IAH-IAH          CLASSES SHOWN YBMEUHQVWSTLKGN
    IAH-BPT          MCT FLIGHT TRACKING D/D
    BPT-IAH          MCT FLIGHT TRACKING D/D
                     ENTIRE FLT- SECURED FLIGHT
                     ENTIRE FLT-  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE

15. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe we have found something worse than a United flight..... A United bus!

gregm and MSYgirl like this.
  16. waltersoto

waltersoto New Member

Status Points:
    And what happen if you take a taxi to go to IAH? I have to flight from Beaumont too ... so i checked my reservation and said something about a bus too; i going to have a troubles if I don't take the bus ?

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. The rest of your ticket will be canceled.

18. waltersoto

waltersoto New Member

Status Points:
    shut .... i don't believe it!!! Thanks .....