Trip Extras: Your Choice of Priority Boarding, Mileage Booster, Delta 24 Hour Wi-Fi Pass

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canarsie, Mar 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta Air Lines announced today a choice of three amenities available for purchase when booking a flight at www.delta.com known as Trip Extras, which are as follows:
    1. Priority Boarding If you want the option of boarding a bit earlier than general boarding to give you more time to find room for your baggage and settle into your seat, you will be able to purchase Priority Boarding starting at $9.00 per segment. Priority Boarding begins immediately after the boarding of SkyPriority customers and before general boarding customers. This option is currently only available in Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix, San Diego and Tampa, but additional origination cities are expected be included for priority boarding later this year.
    2. Mileage Booster This optional mileage boost can help you earn SkyMiles faster and save up for that dream vacation even quicker simply by purchasing some extra SkyMiles for your account. A 1,000 mile boost costs as little as $29.00, with additional boost levels of up to 3,000 SkyMiles available with this option.
    3. Delta 24-Hour Wi-Fi Pass While you can already currently pre-purchase in-flight Wi-Fi access aboard Delta Air Lines flights, including this option at the time you actually book your flight will make your travel planning easier and potentially save you money: the cost for this advance purchase option is $12.00 for a 24-hour pass.
    The new boarding order on Delta Air Lines is as follows:
    • Pre-boarding for customers needing extra time or assistance
    • First, BusinessElite and Business class passengers
    • Sky Priority — Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallions, SkyTeam Elite Plus and Alaska MVP Gold
    • Zone 1 — Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP, Economy Comfort customers, eligible American Express cardholders, customers seated in exit rows and bulkheads, and customers who purchase Priority Boarding
    • Zone 2 — First group of economy class passengers
    • Zone 3 — Remaining economy class passengers

DeltaExpert and secretsea18 like this.
  2. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another bite of the ol' sandwich.

daemon14 and BamaGirl like this.
  3. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love how the priority boarding option would likely only be good on your first flight - tough luck on your connection, buddy!

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The announcement says $9 per segment, so you should be able to pick which segments you want to pay to board early.

5. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense ultimately as the program is fully implemented, but I am reading this:

This option is currently only available in Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix, San Diego and Tampa, but additional origination cities are expected be included for priority boarding later this year.

to mean that it is only valid on flights departing those 6 cities right now.

Anyway, since DL seems to be monetizing all of the Silver Medallion perks, one can figure out exactly how much Silver Medallion would be worth by comparing it to purchasing those benefits a-la-carte on an annual basis. It would almost be a fun exercise.

$X for all of my early boarding segments
    $Y for all of my checked bags
    $Z for all of my bonus miles
    $X+Y+Z value for Silver Medallion

brfort likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    $
    Don't forget -$A for the value of the slight hope of a free upgrade versus the cost of purchasing an A or P fare. Depending on your attitudes toward risk, -$A could be a big negative number, even more than $X+Y+Z.

cwpfly likes this.
  7. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, economists...;)

We can probably figure out how to solve for A for a Silver Medallion. I think that the formula starts with (Slim > A > None), but my algebra is rusty, I am probably missing a variable or two, and it is late - so that is as far as I am going! :)

Tkey likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it worse to know you will never get an upgrade or to believe that you have a chance but end up in coach after hoping?

Tkey likes this.
  9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, Z's units are Skypesos, so we can just assume that to be = 0. :p

10. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    also there's variable "C" for credit card -- rather than pay fees ala carte, just get the right Delta card --

and don't forget variable "S" -- the discount you get on being Silver when you pay SkyClub dues, though there's a variable N that comes into play here -- namely the number of times you use the club.

<lol> well almost

DTWBOB

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    When did Delta decide to become the latest Ryanair?

Italy98 and DeltaExpert like this.
  12. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's awesome. Deep thoughts, MSP. ;)

In other words, would it be easier to tell yourself you're no good once, or have the GIDS tell you every time you fly that there's 70+ people better than you.

13. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the different between ryan air and delta is that Delta's fares start off sky high to begin with then you pile on. FR starts at 5 quid then builds up.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coming soon to ATL:

rwoman likes this.
  15. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    mileage booster option of 3000 miles for $49 ain't bad. 1.6 cpm...

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are redeemable miles, not status miles. Some value DL miles at less than one cent per mile, but it depends very much on how you use them, with much higher values for BE award tickets.

17. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anybody else get the UGLY new bright red Sky Priority Banner at the bottom of their reservations?

18. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes and if you do a roll your mouse over the thing it comes up with a message that says you can board in zone 1, so you can 'board first'.

The only issue here is right now, zone 1 boards 3rd.

Either a case of false advertising -- or another example of the quality of work the Delta IT folks do.

<lol>

DTWBOB

DiverDave likes this.
  19. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have flown six times in the past week and I still had yet to encounter the Sky Zone!

20. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah, i mean it's better than buying RDM at 3.5 cents a piece. the only better deal i've seen is if they run 100% transfer bonus again (1.1 cpm)

21. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    We now have "Bundling"

Attached Files: