Trick it!

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by kraven, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we should also have a thread for all travel hackers who like to play around with different fares and forcing them to lose something on their way or combining them to a very special deal :)

Plesase remember to keep things encrypted to prevent that the deal is gone even before you've booked it.

jbcarioca, charlilo, OY-JFS and 5 others like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Fuel dumps are a really interesting phenomenon. There are tons out there but if you really understand fare construction they start to make sense. It really is true that some of them are 'secret', i.e. airlines don't realize that there's stuff that hasn't been fixed or closed. And it's not about speaking in code -- I've seen plenty of fares posted where it's clear the fuel surcharges aren't included, airlines could look at that and probably not even know why that's the case! But a few folks have figured out the why's. The airlines ought to pay us... hah!

But there are also fuel dumps that the airlines do know about. Fare construction is really complicated. Some of the easy/simple ones have been corrected quickly, others are just darned tough to handle on the programming side. And so they've been left, even though folks are aware of them.

I do want this forum and these threads to be welcoming. Perhaps there's at least a way of offering friendly advice and not making the discussion truly 'secret'. The stuff that the airlines don't even know about, I'm the first to not want them to figure it out :) I mean, I benefit from 'em and so do my friends. But at the same time we want to share information with members, help them and teach them and make it possible for more people to benefit from these deals.

So let's figure out a way to be welcoming at the same time!

Y'all are smarter than me and I'm sure can figure out how to balance that.

3. pawtim

pawtim Active Member

Status Points:

Yes. This will be a good one to start fresh though.

savydog likes this.
  4. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you like cranes and need to get an Ebbelwoi (or get away from this lovely stuff), it's better to take some Kölsch or Maultasche as a kind of catering with you at the beginning or the end of your journey. But be sure to stay on the ground!

desamo, DBF, happy-sxm and 5 others like this.
  5. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those of us that were not in the FT TrickIt! thread, are there any ways to learn this info? I've got a TATL that has a $340 YQ... :eek:

MrsBobSgt, ryandc99 and joesmoe like this.
  6. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not really. You'll have to get some time and read the first 100-200 pages of the FT thread to get into it. But it'll be worth it.

earlybird1999 and MrsBobSgt like this.
  7. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So we aren't going to do this?

MrsBobSgt and ryandc99 like this.
  8. What's the "abstract" reason for fueldumps -- i.e., why do they appear in fare constructions? I guess there is some logic behind that (though it does not always work the way it should).

savydog likes this.
  9. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    I vote that we do. Now, I'm not sure what the best way is to help. And maybe we should try being straightforward? However, I'm not a flyer that frequently takes advantage of this so I don't feel like it's my secret to expose.

Should we PM people information?
    Should we continue to speak in code?
    Should we redirect them to another site to do hours and hours of reading?

I don't want this board to get a reputation for being unfriendly and hard to understand, so what's the solution?

Betty Boop, BAT, OceanBreezes and 6 others like this.
  10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tricky question, but I definitely think that referring people to read the first 100-200 pages of an FT thread is a horrible solution.

ct2ca, lightangel, BAT and 24 others like this.
  11. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. This is something that we as a community should decide..

12. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

nipun, Travelman, MrsBobSgt and 4 others like this.
  13. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    The FT thread is a nightmare. If you disappeared for a month brand new terminology had crept in. The key is to not blow the deal.

14. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

nipun, MrsBobSgt, tjtenor4 and 4 others like this.
  15. Mileage Junky
    Original Member

Mileage Junky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Even reading through most of that info still makes it a bit confusing.

16. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That FT thread is a nightmare, absolutely. Here's a suggestion: take an old, completely dead deal, and spell it out with no codes/confusion at all, in post #1. Newbies need to understand what is possible if they want to put in the effort. Then they can decide whether to surf this thread, which will inevitably become nightmarish too.

But start them off with actual information. Not clues, not hints, not teases. Say something like (made-up example): "in 1998, if you booked SYR-MAD-YVR-YYJ-SYR-NRT on United.com, the computer forgot to put the fuel surcharge in. The clue used at the time was: in YYJ, crocuses bloom in February, unlike everywhere else in Canada."

Not sure if everyone agrees, but my biggest beef with the FT thread was the lingo required essentially a full-time job of reading every post and investigating every angle. As the_happiness_store says, taking a vacation meant losing a lot of comprehension.

17. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nevermind a month, even a few days could cause a steep learning curve..

The method c_9 proposed sounds good, although it might be good to have a few examples. Some people may object if there is some clue overlap to clues people are still using in the active thread. I get the concern over revealing any details however it's gone a bit far. Presuming this site is a clean slate some background is needed for those who start out here. Also, due to the specialty nature of these tricks I can't imagine having two separate threads/forums detailing them will be completely sustainable. People will either stick with FT or the FD crowd will migrate here. Hopefully I'm wrong though!

18. Its tough.. there are muppets the screw up deals. It's frustrating.. however it's equally frustrating to see though codes
    like 'the eagle only flies at night with Krug" when one is passing thru the board looking for deals. Yes, you should be vested , but one shouldn't need to spend an hr trying things to make something that may or may not be there work.

More often than not, I get an email or SMS from a fellow FT'er which is helpful.

19. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Due to the member levels isn't it possible to make an "secret" section where you can speak without a special lingo?

TravelKane, slotownmomma and Eva like this.
  20. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I thought this was already happening by the status descriptions mentioned here http://milepoint.com/forums/help/trophies

21. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 or a PM

But is this the way we want to pass this information? Only person to person?

23. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall this being debated a few times on FT but the consenus was that it seemed exclusionary and it would still be difficult to make sure that airline monitors didn't simply do what was necessary to get access to that section. I think that led to the level of codes that exist now and some occassionally mentioned private/invite only forums/mailing lists for such discussions.

Rus925 likes this.
  24. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok so I have to wait until being invited to a private/invite only forums/mailing lists for such discussions.

25. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this has been addressed ad nauseum over on FT. Whether or not it's a good idea, I don't know. However, it seems to me that we are trying to build a more helpful community feel here. Hiding things beyond a secret curtain doesn't seem quite in line... maybe I'm wrong?

Travelman, Microwave, Aalmond and 5 others like this.