Trick It! FAQ

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by DesertRose, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad this thread has helped so many people, but I am really concerned at the possibility of widespread publicity outside the MP community.

There is definitely a threshold where the airlines will notice, and the fact that a major booking site is now refusing to book tickets with a trick that has been known for years is extremely disconcerting.

I have redacted the text of my posts in this thread, and I will consider posting the material in a more secure location in the future. I hope that everyone here will respect my right to decide the fate and distribution of my work.

2. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds very good. Thanks!
    But I think you should leave out the 1X and 3X abbreviations and add a part that airline names and destinations have do be decoded.

Sean, lisamcgu, joesmoe and 1 other person like this.
  3. mechteach
    Original Member

mechteach Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with kraven on the proposed changes.

lisamcgu and joesmoe like this.
  4. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Useful :)

lisamcgu likes this.
  5. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice, thanks DesertRose. Thanks for including the links as well.

lisamcgu likes this.
  6. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great intro! Thank you, DesertRose. On the revision, it might also be helpful to specifically add that they should not post this on any other deal forums or blogs, as that's usually how these deals die.

This is great for newbies, but I wonder if spelling it out like this might also attract the employees or the WSJ reporter. Over on the other forum where we were debating about this, I suggested maybe having a vetting process whereby we introduce what this thread is about but require the newbies to contact one of the vetting officers (can be maybe the "original officers" or whoever we collectively decide) to be vetted before they can see the forum contents. We'll specify who they should contact so they're not left to "go make friends" on their own. Vetting can be a simple process of just talking to them to see what they do, etc., and reinforcing the rules of no calling, no posting, etc. This way, they know they need to put an effort into this, and hopefully will contribute in the future.

If we do this, I propose leaving the first 4 paragraphs + the "Why all the secrecy" paragraph, and then including a "What to do next" paragraph where we tell them who to contact.

What do you guys think?

ContinentalFan and joesmoe like this.
  7. Ad discussed on the other thread, I think at least limiting some information is a good idea- I just want to begin discussing different OJ/DOJ/carrier combination methods now that the poke is dead and I'm really mad at myself for not booking a trip to Madrid for spring break. Now, I'm lapsing into acronym speak too :)

joesmoe and Wanaflyforless like this.
  8. The problem with this forum is that it is a publicly acessable forum. If it is locked, to both lurkers AND general members, then it will work as an invite only club. However, if it's acessable from only registering, the airlines and bloggers can quickly spoil the soup.

ContinentalFan and joesmoe like this.
  9. ben senise
    Original Member

ben senise Silver Member

Status Points:
    the link to itasoftware matrix shouldn't have the www at the beginning. eg, just matrix.itasoftware.com

joesmoe likes this.
  10. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see no way that the beans will not be spilled at some point in time.

osiriuso, lisamcgu, karung99 and 2 others like this.
  11. zabes
    Original Member

zabes Active Member

Status Points:
    just a small note, but does it matter matrix.itasoftware.com or matrix1.itasoftware.com.

Also about the registration, I'd almost suggest that it takes 14 days from registration before you can view the trick-it thread, and during those 14 days if the person hasn't made any posts etc, during that time then you might be able to keep them from viewing.

Obviously the idea is it's not a completely hidden society, but do we really want to let people that aren't really even active in the community benefit?

Just an idea

12. I believe they both display the same information it's just that one is the new interface and the other is the old interface. The data they access is the same, it's just presented differently.

JohnnieD and savydog like this.
  13. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for this beginners guide to Trick It.
    I was really overwhelmed in "the other" forum with that thread. Hopefully I can read the thread on this forum and keep up.

Someone mentioned "vetting" newcomers to this particular forum. I think its a good idea as well. Eventually, as mentioned earlier, some online blogger / reporter, etc is going to decode everything and keep putting the deals up on their website. I think the information presented in this particular sub-forum should be for the folks who are willing to do the hard work and get those airfares. If everything gets handed out on a plate to everyone, then its a waste of time for the people who actually find these fares.

AmericanGirl, Bob Smolinsky and Biu like this.
  14. Thanks, OP! I am a new to all of this and I was starting to think I would never be one of the cool kids. I understand you can't just spell it out and I will voluntarily submit to the vetting process. I need all the help/advice I can get!

augustrose, crazE8, savydog and 2 others like this.
  15. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this. As someone who recently read through all 500 pages in another forum, this kind of FAQ would have been very useful!

anng3 and lisamcgu like this.
  16. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very useful info indeed. I had stopped trying FD after airfarewatchdog posted the .bomb exploit on his blog, but seeing as it is still possible it looks like I may need to read up to learn the new methodology. Who wants to start of the code/puzzle talk here? I enjoy trying to figure these things out.

savydog likes this.
  17. remo80222
    Original Member

remo80222 Active Member

Status Points:
    Great post OP. Really appreciate the information.

savydog likes this.
  18. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the FAQ. I have always wanted to try this. I had followed a thread on another site but quit after all the infighting started. I understand the basic concept and look forward to possibly fine tuning this skill :)

lisamcgu, k2o and AmericanGirl like this.
  19. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I read the other thread, but this would have been nice. Thanks!

lisamcgu likes this.
  20. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    This is great information! I hope I can use it int he future

savydog, lisamcgu and MyMiles&Points like this.
  21. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very clear introduction for the tricks. Good job!

savydog, lisamcgu and MyMiles&Points like this.
  22. mechteach
    Original Member

mechteach Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, sigh, I miss that canada bomb so much! It always worked for me.

lisamcgu likes this.
  23. EYK
    Original Member

EYK Active Member

Status Points:
    great FAQ look forward to getting involved

savydog, lisamcgu and Chamonix like this.
  24. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't matter what precautions are taken, techniques and knowledge will leak and invariably change the direction of FDs etc. The terminology will change and the means will change, but the ability will likely continue to be there... somehow in some way.

Chamonix likes this.
  25. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points: