trick for United Premier Status

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ryanjchan, Dec 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ryanjchan

ryanjchan New Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I have just over 20,000 united premier status points which to the best of my knowledge are going to expire at the end of this year. I also have 11,000 points w/ us airways. When booking with US Airways, one is allowed to accumulate United points; however, I stupidly didn't realize that until late this year.

Has anyone ever tried to transfer from US Airways to United after they've already taken the flight? I'm trying to get premier silver status.

Any other ideas how I could get the extra 5000 miles? I definitely won't be traveling in December but I will be traveling in Jan and Feb, but to my understanding, I must take the trip (as opposed to purchase the ticket) before December 31st in order for it to count towards my premier status for this year.

I also have a chase sapphire card and they do mileage plus transfers to united but I don't think that counts for premier status :(

Any advice?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't have much luck trying to get the miles credited to your UA account, you get one chance to choose who to credit a flight to. You can try to fly 5k miles in December or you can try to buy PQMs with your next ticket purchase as United sometimes makes them available for sale. Before doing either you should consider if the benefits of UA Silver (Economy Plus at check in only, 1 free bag) are really worth the extra cost and time output.

3. ryanjchan

ryanjchan New Member

Status Points:
    @skyvan

Ok thanks for the info. In your opinion, in the coming year should I focus on accruing united or us airways points? which preferred/premier status offers better benefits?

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that effective 12/9 (I believe,) AA and US merge. I doubt that US will be in Star with UA for long after that, and that reciprocity of using miles on the others metal will soon cease.

So... do you want to collect miles for use on Star Alliance partners for Oneworld partners?

Janlei, downhillcrasher and skyvan like this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    misman summarized it up, you have to pick. Also you should assume that after March United and US will not longer be partners.

Janlei likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. Buy a refundable United ticket and then you can pay for additional miles and qualifying miles. They will post quickly and then you can cancel the ticket for a refund. It is not a cheap way to do it, but if you can't fly it will work.

gaijin62 likes this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! You'll learn a lot of valuable information about obtaining, keeping and maximizing status on these pages. It's a fantastic source of free information, and even better when you have enough activity to become a Premier member. You'll learn more about that if you hang around. For now, you've got a lot to absorb.

I believe that I'll be in the majority by advising against buying the 5000 miles required to reach Premier Silver. When you book a flight, you'll see the option to "Buy Award Accelerator®" which will lead you to a page where you can choose to buy "Award Accelerator" miles (known here as RDMs) or Premier Accelerator and Award Accelerator" miles (Premier Accelerator miles are known here as PAMs, while the Premier miles you earn when flying are known as PQMs).

Buying PAMs is usually much more expensive as the end of the year approaches. It can be of value in a few unique cases where one is just a few miles short of higher level Premier status, or perhaps reaching a level where Global Premier Upgrades (known here as GPUs) are earned. It is unlikely that buying Silver status would get you more value than simply paying for E+ seats, Priority Boarding and checked bags. Those benefits are nice if you fly enough to earn the miles required, and they may even be worth it to you if you choose to pay for them as an add-on to your ticket.

Premier Silver is better than nothing, but it has been degraded in value over the last couple of years to make it only a minimal benefit. As to which program will be best for you going forward, this is where you can gain the information from which you will be able to make a much better informed decision. Be sure to keep up with the AA and US Forums as their programs move forward toward the merger. Changes are sure to come to all programs, and you'll likely learn about them sooner and in more detail here than on the individual airlines web sites.

Warning: Status chasing can become addictive! ;)

Enjoy

Janlei likes this.
  8. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ticket doesn't even have to be a full-fare, refundable ticket. Purchase any ticket. Then accept the buy-up offer of additional award/redeemable (RDMs) miles. Then accept the buy-up offer of additional status (PQMs) miles. Then after purchasing the miles, refund the ticket within 24 hours of ticket purchase. That's it. It will likely cost $0.10 or more per PQM to do this, but it is possible.

Though I echo the sentiment of others above, "Is Premier Silver worth it?" Only you can be the judge based on next year's expected travel patterns. To me, the benefits of Silver are lame in comparison compared to just getting a UA credit card, but that's not to say there's no value in having Premier Silver. Of course, this is coming from the perspective of a Premier 1K, so our experiences are different.

Janlei and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. Janlei

Janlei Member

Status Points:
    I have transferred US Airways miles after flying it using United's transfer miles form for all the Star Alliance partners. I had to attach the boarding pass to prove I was on the flights. Seems it still should work if the form exists AND if you were a Premier member at the time of flying USA, not AFTER it.

10. Janlei

Janlei Member

Status Points:
    Very true! UAL confirmed if it doesn't show you EQM after you select your seats, then you can't access it until after your purchase, and if it isn't what you want, call them and cancel the reservations, no questions asked. However, I'm wondering how its possible to see and purchase EQM that go into your account immediately, and NOT have that debited once you cancel the trip out. Seems like a risky way to maintain status?

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm currently seeing prices North of $.30 right now.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's a well-known (at least around these parts) loophole that UA likely won't be closing unless they decide to stop selling PAMs next year with the introduction of PQDs.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not risky at all, just expensive. It absolutely works just as described.