Tribute to Briton shot in Venezuela on holiday // vacation

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by uggboy, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Tribute to Briton shot in Venezuela

A British holidaymaker shot dead in Venezuela in what appeared to be a botched robbery was a "real adventurer", a family friend has said.

Thomas Ossel, 28, from Bedfordshire, was fatally shot in the jaw while his younger brother Jack was stabbed in the back but survived. The 21-year-old was taken to hospital and received stitches before being discharged.

Family friend Jacqueline Baxter paid tribute to Thomas, saying: "He was a real adventurer, a real character. I spoke to Jack last night (Tuesday). He's been coping remarkably well. He was very lucid. I'm sure it will hit him when he comes home."

The men's father Ben flew to the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, on Tuesday night and will be joining his surviving son on Wednesday.

On Thomas's MySpace page, he referred to his love of travel. Describing his interests, he wrote: "Have been to nearly 40 countries now...would love to make it 100 one day! Enjoy riding my motorbike fast, can't wait to get a new GSX-R in the summer!"

He and his brother were reportedly staying at the Posada Casa Rosa hotel on Margarita Island when a group of gunmen burst in on Monday. A Venezuelan police official, Luis Garavin, told a local radio station that officers believed the gunmen were trying to rob the pair and opened fire when they resisted.