Trial Preferred pickle, suggestions welcomed

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Always Be Flying, Feb 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Signed up for TP under the wire in December and had plenty of travel booked to get to CP. Work got in the way and I had to cancel most of that travel. So, my trial period ends 3/2 and I need 24k miles to get to CP. It will be extremely useful to me this year and I would, with a MR this size, easily requal for EXP 2016 as well.

However, I am not seeing any decent MR deals, even 5cpm is tough in this timeframe. I have considered the following:

1) forget about it completely
    2) MR to keep silver - would pay more than an AA plat challenge but would have some status for the time being.
    3) do an AA plat challenge or wait to see if an EXP challenge comes up again
    4) go for CP now
    5) go for AS status from now - I will have nothing until I get to MVP, but makes travel options more flexible throughout the year.

Note, UA, DL, B6, VX and WN are nonstarters for me. Also, I have west coast, cross-country and TATL travel planned so far for 2015.

Suggestions are really appreciated, and if y'all want to pile on d/t first world problems, that's fine too.

Thanks

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you originating from and how much time can you spend? what is your natural amount of flying? The right tpac or a couple of tatlsbtatls vould get you there or mostly there. Hong kong? Painful but efficient.

3. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Originating in PHX, but I have orphaned WN/UA points that can help with positioning. I normally get in 75-100k BIS a year, but it has been more inconsistent the last few years. I am more or less wide open the next 2 weeks so I can and am willing to spend the time necessary, but I really don't want to go over 5cpm. At that point I think it's best to let it go and try something else later in the year.

I looked af SFO-DFW-HKG return, decent fares on that come and go. The perfect route I have found is PHX-ORD-SFO-DFW-HKG return but am still looking for a price fit.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Instead of searching and possibly not finding the perfect MR, try to find something that you consider acceptable and that will satisfy the conditions of your status challenge. Since you don't know your flying over the rest of the year, it would bee nice to get more status miles toward EXP, but you can get smallish amounts of AA status miles later in the year easily enough, for example by picking aa few routings with additional connecions.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't likely to be another way to exp, other than 120 segments or 100k miles. And there come only with next year's swus. You talk of a possible plat challenge - but that only gets you to platunum and costs similar to the cost difference between 5 ad 6 cpm.

Either it's worth pursuing or not. I'd consider out of pocket for exp rather than an arbitrary cpm threahold. Assuming you actually fly otherwise, you indirectly earm far more than the miles flown here.

6. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say go big and get it over with. Singapore and back or around the world ticket. Get it done now, enjoy until 2016. You won't regret it. I go through the same thought some years. But, when I am able to move up, change tickets, enjoy lounge, etc, I tell myself "Thank god I did that extra flight last year to make Platinum (or whatever it is)".