Trends in comped UA status for 2014?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by traveltoomuch, Mar 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hearing some intriguing reports from lower-tier MP members who got gifts from UA this year, and I'm wondering what other are seeing. Examples:
    • Silver member in 2013, (having slowly dropped from 1K to PP to GP to SP) should have dropped out of status entirely in 2014, gifted silver again. Note in kit mentioned long-term loyalty.
    • Silver member in 2013, barely requalified for silver in 2014, gifted gold.
    One obvious theory is that they're looking at revenue - how many PQDs would these folks have gotten. My favorite theory so far: they're looking at amount of flying on US and trying to move those customers back to UA when US leaves *A. What are your theories as to what UA is thinking?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    8MiHi likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My theory is that this is a counter-move to the revenue-based system. UA's approach seems to be that the PQD requirement will do a nice enough job getting rid of the low hanging fruit, but there are some LVCs worth retaining so let's throw a lifeline to as many who met certain criteria in the past as we can. For DL: the PQD requirement did not go far enough, so let's completely eliminate the LVC class with the full RBS!

8MiHi likes this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that this could be a smart competitive move on UAs part. Retaining loyal customers who may have been high value customers in the past is definitely worth some effort.

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has United lost that many elites?

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they Mileage Plus Explorer credit card holders? Wondering if that has something to do with it.

6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA must be seeing more and more people leaving their FF program and with that loose people that fly UA entirely. I know a good number of people that are redeeming their remaining UA miles and give their loyalty somewhere else. UA has disappointed me now several years in a row, their FF program is loosing its value and competitive edge.... I could go on.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got some hard numbers to back your claim, or are you just 'projecting' your own disappointment onto others. I have been with UA for a long time and I am happy as a lark, maybe because I do not pay attention to serial complainers and am not as demanding. I go by my own experience, which does not paint the picture you just did.

You could replace HHonors for UA MileagePlus in the preceding and pretty much get my position on the purported 'devaluation' at Hilton that has 'killed' their frequent guest program, when every program has done pretty much what Hilton has done.

The 'echo chamber' that a discussion board sometimes can be is a terrible impediment to independent thinking.

Cheers from LAX UC where I just arrived from SYD on my way to JFK, flying in C on a 744 with a lie-flat rear-facing C seat courtesy of a cleared GPU. No complaints here about UA!

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014