Trend to charge extra for aisle and window seats helps airlines boost bottom line

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story.asp?storyid={6f738763-085b-43e6-b419-5adbe37c6c58}&src=main

American Airlines has some advice for parents who want to sit with their children during a flight: Pay more.
    To ensure seats together, Preferred Seats is a great option. Customers can purchase starting at $4," the airline said in a Jan. 3 tweet. The airline's response included a link to its website about how to secure coach-cabin seats together for extra money.

Read More: http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story.asp?storyid={6f738763-085b-43e6-b419-5adbe37c6c58}&src=main

TAHKUCT and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's definitely not a service they offer! This only reflects greed and the times we live in today!

TAHKUCT likes this.
  3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airlines trying to be creative to try to generate more revenue, unfortunately I do not know if this model will work. Maybe on some routes. But isn't easier just to ask someone to switch a seat with you? Especially for the parent to seat with a child :confused:

4. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I think this crosses the line of what is an acceptable business practice to what pure greed. "Premium seats?" Why? Because they are in the front of the plane? If you were talking about Economy Plus, or Premium Economy I could understand that, but the same seat, the same pitch, just in row 4?

Unless the airline is LCC and specifically position itself as such (i.e., I'll nickle and dime you for everything for a very very low base fare), I would expect that families traveling together (on the same PNR) should be able to seat together.

No wonder that most of the people chose carriers based on price. If I'm going to be treated like dirt, at leas don't charge me an arm and a leg for it.

sobore likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While I agree that the marketing of this is a bit odd, I don't think it's as awful as everyone seem to be taking it. American has been doing this for some time, so nothing new here.

American still provides plenty of open seats for families (or any other passenger) to select and sit together without a fee. It's not like this is now mandatory for parties looking to travel together. The only time this would come into play is if the family books late and there are no seats available together and all that is left are the preferred seats (just like someone on UA would do if they wanted to sit together and the only consecutive seats are in E+), or if the family wants to get off the plane quickly and needs seats toward the front. Even in those cases, as mentioned above, most people will go out of their way to switch seats if a family needs to be together, though that's always at someone's discretion.

Also, the preferred/preferred plus option AA offers in fact DOES offer access to exit rows (and other extra leg room seats) for a fee. Some are still reserved for elites and those who buy high fare classes, but indeed some are available for sale. The lower fee options are just to get an aisle or window toward the front. The higher fee options get you exit row or more leg room.

My personal opinion is that for the most part this is totally not worth it, but it seems there's a market for this option since AA has kept it for awhile. Otherwise it's always as it has been: sign into AA.com and select your seats together for no fee.