Travels with Groupon or Similar websites.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by The Missy, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I often check Groupon and Living Social for deals in cities I plan to visit.

I got a facial in Kansas City
    I had an awesome massage in Denver
    I had a great picnic in Central Park with goodies I picked up at an upper east side deli.

I just bought a couple of (Seattle) Chinatown Discovery tours for the next time I have visitors in town.

Tell us about your travels with Groupon!

Biu and IMGone like this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    In NZ grabone.co.nz works similar to groupon.

3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have also purchased groupon / living social deals in places other than my hometown. I'll also use the deals just to get an idea of neighborhoods or restaurants based on what they are promoting.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    same here, I have yet to actually use one while traveling but have used countless locally.

isn't there a master site that quotes all group on like deals per day?

I still can't believe Groupon turned down $6 million billion (thanks HaveMilesWillTravel)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure you meant billion :)

6. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    And then had a shot with their SuperBowl commercial to really make a splash and they seemed to have crashed and burned. It'll be interesting to see what's next

7. Sasa
    Original Member

Sasa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Groupon is expanding their international presence, and I've picked up a few good deals in London. The types of offers are very similar to the US sites - restaurants, facials, hair removal (apparently it's a global problem [​IMG]).

This is a great way to save money while traveling!

8. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for Groupon London, Paris and Rome before my last few trips. I have never seen so many offers for fish pedicures, powerplate, massages and colonics in my life. Rome does offer some amazing hotel deals for Lazio weekend getaways if you are going to be there longer and want to do something different.

9. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For restaurant types that are looking to try food in new cities while meeting new people, GrubWith has an intesting business model. Its similar to Groupon except that you are purchasing a seat at a pre-planned meal. The meals have a set menu (some may allow options) and are served family style. The catch is that anyone can join the meal (up to the reservation capacity) so you end up with a mix of friends and friendly strangers.

Right now there are only a couple cities that are offering the service (yay Chicago!) but if you're headed to any of their options, it may be an interesting way to experience new eateries.

10. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my one and only Groupon experience was courtesy of boxo (thanks boxo!!!)
    I'd definitely use it again, especially when visiting Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Phuket, etc.
    but knowing myself I will probably forget to look and just rely what I stumble across once I arrive

snap likes this.
  11. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. echohorn
    Original Member

echohorn Active Member

Status Points:
    does the 10 for 20 groupon on amazon count? it helped fund travel related goodies :)

13. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is also http://www.halfoffdepot.com. they are bigger than groupon in Charlotte due to promotion on the newspaper's website. On the half off website it lists european and australian cities.

4Health likes this.
  14. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Up until i read this thread, I did not realize you could unsubscribe from cities on Groupon.
    I had used it for a few trips -- and would continue to receive emails for cities I am not going to revisit.
    Now I am subscribing to cities with upcoming trips.

15. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've listed one for NZ. There are actually a few (too many to survive) and it will be interesting to see which one(s) last.

16. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went back and edited the list. Going forward if anyone adds one can you just copy the list and add it to the bottom of your post? Does anyone know of any major ones for India? I found some but it seems like they are junk based upon what they are offering.

USA: www.groupon.com, www.livingsocial.com, www.halfoffdepot.com
    NZ: www.grabone.co.nz

Edit: Grace - halfoffdepot is great! I live in W-S and GSO/CLT are close by so they have quite a few options. Thanks for the heads up.

kiwi likes this.
  17. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used Groupon for hotel specials - an upcoming one at a nearby Sheraton for a birthday treat for +1. I also purchased a NASCAR driving experience (which will require travel to that particular racetrack) as a present for +1. I, too, use it for cities to which I am going to be traveling. You just never know what will turn up that can enhance your trip!

18. Sasa
    Original Member

Sasa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Came across an interesting site today: yipit.com
    It aggregates deals for a city, so you don't have to check and/or subscribe to groupon/livingsocial/and any locally specific sites separately. The best part is that you can select the categories of deals you want, so as a traveler you can focus on restaurants and attractions rather health, beauty, long term classes, etc.

Caveat: I just signed up today, so I'll report back if I start getting spammed with a bunch of useless stuff!

loadera and flyingdawg like this.
  19. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    is there something similar for the UK?

20. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good - let us know how that works out.

21. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Missy (my love). I understand that you have a Groupon cert for a trip to Brooklyn for pizza next time you're in town. [​IMG]

22. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
  23. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for Prague recently but I can't understand any of the offers, so will be removing that subscription :) ... it's much easier when I am heading somewhere where english is the language or it's in a language I can figure out.

24. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was Living Social. Looks like that marketing campaign didn't really work too well.