Travelling while pregnant

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MissBurrill, Mar 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the opportunity to visit Singapore in April when I will be about 20 weeks. Y+ is within budget and J has potential to be in budget.

My doctor is happy for me to travel. I know I will need to take it easy and not make my days as busy as they usually are on holiday.

What was your experience of travelling while pregnant? Or if you've travelled with a pregnant loved one, how was it for them?

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never been pregnant, but your insurance is no good in Singapore.

I travel with my Doctor,

Hang onto the hand rails, you sure do not want to fall.

Have a safe trip.

MissBurrill likes this.
  3. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problems about traveling pregnant.. my wife had a baby 8 months ago and traveled a lot before that.. no problems at all. Just make sure your insurance is good over there... avoid surprises. :)

MissBurrill likes this.
  4. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the replies everyone! I've looked at insurance and they won't cover me if I give birth overseas.

5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my wife and I traveled when she was 28 weeks with our first one (Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore.) Granted she is from Singapore so it wasn't that scary. We have friends that are doctors there and her on/gyn gave the okay. Look at travel insurance as a possibility. I am surprised that regular insurance won't cover an emergency and treat it as out of network. With that said the cost isn't as high as it is in the US.
    Drink lots of water, especially in the plane. Space out you sightseeing as it is very hot in Singapore. The haze is getting bad so you want to try and plan around that. With that said, there are tons of air conditioned malls all over Singapore. MRT and cabs are plenty and modern. Food safety is quite high as well. Have fun and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

MissBurrill likes this.
  6. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the quote from the website of the travel insurance company I normally use:

I don't have to worry about the final sentence as I'm not multiple and not IVF. I wonder how many people don't read this then wonder why they aren't covered.

I also looked at reciprocal healthcare however Australia doesn't have an agreement with Singapore.

7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel with your doctor? Would your doctor also be your spouse?? :confused:

satman40 likes this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    No advise on flying while pregnant (although I do see it at the airports) but Welcome to Singapore.
    As mentioned by Singapore Flyer, do note that our neighbours are doing some forest clearing (.....) and haze could be an issue depending on wind conditions.
    That said, we do have MANY malls which are air-conditioned and mostly interlinked.
    Transport is generally a breeze in the city as well.

MissBurrill likes this.
  9. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Quite a few friends have said the food is safe and there is plenty of air con I can escape to. I guess one of my fears is if people try to touch my belly. In Oz it's sexual harassment so I can easily tell someone off if they try for a belly grope. In a different country I will have to be a bit more diplomatic and respectful of the culture. Plus I don't want to be the shouty English speaking tourist who gives us all a bad name.

I was tempted by a mistake fare to KUL yesterday however when I did the maths of getting to SYD and accom in SYD plus getting between KUL and SIN whilst 20 weeks pregnant I realised it wasn't worth it.

Now to wait for Qantas to have another Y+ sale. My husband has decided he doesn't want to come so I have a broader range of dates I can choose from.

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say no worries about that. Touching a pregnant lady's belly (a stranger at that) is certainly not a social norm.
    Generally, hugging in a social setting is not even the norm.
    Feel free to check with those of us who reside here and I am sure (at least I know I am) we will be happy to answer your questions as best as we can.
    Tourism after-all is a cornerstone of our economy :)

Singapore Flyer and MissBurrill like this.
  11. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just asked my friend who lives in Manila and he said a lot of people would rub his Mrs' belly. Apparently it is considered lucky. He also said in the hospital it was amazing how many staff stopped by to see the white baby. It was like their daughter was a unicorn and everyone wanted to have a look!

I am thinking I will wear loose blouses and just go with the flow. I'll have to let you know when I've booked so we can arrange a dinner one evening.

WilliamQ likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and much of the travel is for business..diet coke is the rule....

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    gregm likes this.
  13. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some countries in Asia just love to touch big bellies. Thailand is probably the #1 for this. I've had customs guys there do it. Nothing like getting a tummy pat, along with your passport stamp. BTW, I'm a Buddha like guy. :)

I had 100+ people following me in Katmandu. You learn to have a sense of humor about it, mostly.

Singapore Flyer and MissBurrill like this.
  14. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    totally agree with @WilliamQ. The culture of Manila and Singapore are pretty far apart when it comes to the "touching" of ppl and their body parts. I have family (inlaws) members that shake hands instead of hugging or kissing when greeting ppl that they haven't seen in months/years. It isn't part of their daily lives. Yes, it could be upbringing, but it isn't really a social norm there. My wife was showing pretty good and no one touched her belly. Not even her friends - maybe just her best friend and daughter.

MissBurrill likes this.
  15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    @MissBurrill. How did your trip to Singapore fare? Did you have fun and did anyone attempted to do a belly rub on you?