Travelling w/ a family of 5

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jmhuth, Jul 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    The past few years, we've stayed at a friends timeshare & have really never stayed in a "hotel" for vacation... Basically we wanted the kitchen etc. because w/ young kids this has been easier... My kids are getting a little older & I have points to redeem, so I'm going to try the hotel route next year. My kids are little: 8, 5 & 3 & we could easily fit in a standard room, but I see that a lot of times maximum occupancy is 4... Are hotels sticklers about this rule? can you pay more for a 5th person? Just wondering if anyone has experience w/ this....

Thanks all!

alohastephen and Gargoyle like this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I have traveled with extended family members we have never had a problem when there is an extra little one. Of course, there are no guarantees, but unless your group is rambunctious and other guests complain you are probably fine at most hotels. Maybe just call the hotel you want to stay at directly and ask what their policy is......call "anonymously" at first. :)

alohastephen, jmhuth and savydog like this.
  3. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    In some places they really are due to the fire codes and Hawaii comes to mind but also ran into problems in the Bahamas and Colorado. Many resort hotels have a time-share portion you can rent which often sleep 6 and give you a kitchen and laundry in the unit. It's also nice having the extra space and two TV's. They usually price out very well too.

jmhuth likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of European hotels, including some notable ones in American chains, can be very strict on the number of people (adults???) in a room, sometimes limiting it to two in many rooms.

Also, some free room awards are specifically for one or two people, so in principle the hotel would have absolutely no responsibility to accept any more, including children, even if normally allowed by the hotel, fire codes, etc. The same is true of rooms obtained through priceline, etc. YMMV

jmhuth likes this.
  5. muflyer

muflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have that large a group, but we have had success in the past using VRBO.com (which stands for Vacation Rental By Owner). It often beats hotel prices and allows for multiple rooms. Additionally, once you obtain status in a hotel change that may open the door to upgrades, larger rooms and suites. My wife and I recently obtained a suite upgrade that would have been ideal for our entire family, but we were traveling alone. ;)

jmhuth likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem in trying to use status this way is that most hotel upgrades are confirmed at check in based on availability. A key exception is the four suite upgrades per year that Hyatt Diamonds can confirm. Of course, sometimes you can use points to guarantee an upgrade, but this can be costly.

jmhuth likes this.
  7. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I also have a family of 5 including 3 girls ages 7, 4 and 4. I also run and manage a website called www.HotelDealsRevealed.com and know all about booking a room for 5.

First, let me say that virtually no hotel will let you book a hotel for 5 people unless it is a suite (e.g., 1 bedroom). I ALWAYS book for 4 people and it has never been a problem with any of the hotels I have booked at. I've never been "called on it" but I would have a good story prepared in case you are. E.g., "they're friends just visiting". The reason I book a room for 4 people is that you are guaranteed a minimum of 2 beds. Book for 1 and you might end up with 1 bed :-(

A few things to be aware of though:

1. If you are staying at an all-inclusive or other place that requires a wrist-band, this is a little more difficult. Although many all inclusives offer free kids, they won't let 5 people in a room. I remember looking into Marival (Puerto Vallarta) and they wanted A LOT for a 1 BR suite. We didn't book this.

2. You might want to avoid Priceline. Although I run a Priceline forum, I've heard stories and I've myself been a victim of Priceline's guarantee that the room will accommodate a maximum of 2 people. It was a hotel in San Diego that I had booked on Priceline, and I got a great deal but it only had 1 king sized bed. Our twins and older daughter ended up sleeping on the floor. We got lots of extra blankets and pillows so they didn't mind, but that is the thing about Priceline -- you run the risk. This account is worth the read: Priceline hotel for 3 or more

misman, jmhuth and savydog like this.
  8. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, this is so helpful! I've always booked for 4 as well, but wasn't so sure how it would work at a nicer resort. I'm looking to book a nice place w/ Hyatt points, so I may just call w/o giving my name & see how they would handle the situation.... It's not an all inclusive, so maybe they would be ok w/ it.. We'll see....

9. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are some non-all inclusives that require wrist bands. For instance, at the Hilton in Waikiki it is not an all-inclusive but they do give out wrist bands to hotel guests... as an FYI.

10. cennas and ACMM like this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard milePoint DeeUK! Glad to have you hear and thanks for posting your first post :)

12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP DeeUK! Enjoy your stay here.

ranman1973, lwkatya and Gargoyle like this.