Travelling to London October 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by toddys91, Apr 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. toddys91

toddys91 Member

Status Points:
    Hubby and I will be spending 3 nights in London in October 2014, neither of us have been to London before ( we are from Au but I an UK CITIZEN) there are so many hotels in London and I just can't seem to find the "right" one.
    We like a bit of luxury but do not want to pay through the nose...
    Any assistance would be appreciated

2. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can achieve some of the most attractive rates through Club Carlson, sometimes sub £100, their properties tick a lot of boxes.

3. toddys91

toddys91 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, will have a look, what would be the best area to stay? We want to do a ho on hop off and a say trip to Paris, any suggestions? Thanks :)

4. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many hotel where tourist can stay, they all are good and provides good services som of the hotels are YHA London Central on Bolsover Street, Palmers Lodge-Swiss Cottage on College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, Safestay on Walworth Road.

6. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    What sort of a reply was that? There are many hotels in London? No kidding!

"They are all good and provides good services"? erm, on which planet is the 'London' to which you refer?

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No easy answer to that one as London covers a lot of terrain and budgets--get ready for sticker shock in London that may cause you to lower your expectations. The one thing in your favor is that most of the hotels you'd be looking at would be close to Tube stations.

If you're looking best location in terms of being close to Parliament, there's a Park Plaza right across the bridge from it. I had friends stay there during the Olympics and they were very happy there (on the other hand, I was up in the financial district near Liverpool Street Tube at Hotel Indigo Tower Hill that I enjoyed very much---just a 5-10 min walk to the Tower of London-- and it would meet your criteria for a luxury property in an entirely different neighborhood). Most of my stays are at Holiday Inn Express properties and I wouldn't go as far as considering them in the luxury category.

Park Plaza Westminter Bridge on Trip Advisor:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Westminster_Bridge_London-London_England.html

Hotel Indigo Tower Hill (there is also an Indigo in Paddington though not much in terms of sights around it)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are you up on Oyster cards? You just about need one of these now for transit in London to get the best fares. I keep mine year round, but friends last year purchased theirs when we arrived at Paddington, and then turned them back in and got their deposit and remaining fare value back at Heathrow.

jwsky likes this.
  8. toddys91

toddys91 Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Tom, most informative, I had heard of the Oyster card and will look into it further.

We have Decided on The Ruben at the Palace purely due to reviews and location (feel like a queen for a few days) we don't mind a bit of a walk and there seem to be parks close by.

Only 515 Days to go but who is counting, if anyone has any other suggestions at to what to see or avoid they ar most welcome.

9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted a restaurant suggestion in the dining subforum (Archipelago), and OXO on the Thames is nice for sitting outside and taking in the sights while having a delightful lunch. The London Eye was nice and allowed for great pictures, but get there early or sit in line for a long time. There are so many things to discover just by walking around, so don't focus too much on the train if you can help it. I love going to the Borough market when I have time, and did I mention the cheese sampling? :D (http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/) The royal parks are beautiful and serene on a sunny day.

tom911 likes this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just there 3 weeks ago as part of London-Helsinki-Dublin. During the Olympics, U.S. families were hosted in a complex of buildings across the street that now house a wine warehouse and a brewery pub with a courtyard. I was in and out of there for 8 days of swimming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos from this trip are HERE. London photos from prior trips HERE.

11. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love the pictures; thanks for sharing. Any fan of Pret A Manger is a friend of mine. First ate there in Paris and fell in love with the chicken club. :)

12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite a few of them offer free wi-fi now, so tend to pop in there with my tablet when I'm out wandering.

13. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Their is lots of options in London this is not very big mater to stay in any hotel.