Travelling ~150 miles to get 50,000 miles... yes or no?

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by mailbroad, Dec 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for the 50,000 points for staying at a Radisson. I thought that my husband and I would enjoy a little trip to Portsmouth, NH which we try to visit a few times a year. However, there is no Radisson in Portsmouth... I thought there was... and the closest one is in another city in NH, Nashua. It would be 300 miles round trip which seems like a lot! We planned to go there but decided not to because we couldn't decide on what to do there. We do not have the same day off except when we use leave and mine is all used up! If I made a mistake... I'll just try to go myself by the 30th... or hop on the Mega Bus and go to Boston...
    Do you think we made a mistake? Be gentle.

2. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea. But I love your pic! Welcome to MP!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally... just for a MR with no additional motivation to do anything at the destination, and especially with winter weather (?), I would not drive 300 miles for 50k Club Carlson points. Any way you could turn it into a two nighter with 100k points by booking a night for each of you? What rate are you expecting to pay?

4. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    No chance of a 2 nighter by the end of the year... although it could have been possible this week! The rates were about $100 to $120 plus our meals, of course!
    There's a lot of shopping in Nashua but we are not shoppers...

uggboy and miles and smiles like this.
  5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who commutes 219 miles each Monday morning, my thoughts might be skewed.

One question would be whether you have any booked travel this month? I was travelling to Hawai'i just before Thanksgiving and already knew I needed six days of parking, so I booked the Park-And-Fly rate at the BNA Airport Radisson right after the promotion came out. If you are flying to another city this month, the destination might have an suitable Radisson ...

If I had the day off and could find other activities (even GroupOns), I would be tempted if the out-of-pocket total costs were a small fraction of how I expected to use the points. For instance, my travel patterns make 54,000 points (one earns online booking bonuses and base points) look like "six Category 1 nights in the southeast U.S.".

If the trip were reliant upon icurhere2 SO using a day of leave, the opportunity cost would probably be too high.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be traveling 25 miles to my MR Radisson, and half of that is a necessary trip anyway. My wife's stay was a night we would have otherwise spent at a nearby Hyatt, and since I already requalified for Diamond, no big loss there.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read 50k miles in the title and immediately said "where?!" :)

I personally don't mind a good road trip, but it depends on whether or not the points are worthwhile to you. What I would do if I was in your shoes is sign up 2-3 more family members or friends -- if possible -- and take them all out there on a road trip.

Doing a 300 mile trip to pay for a stay to get 50k bonus points is just not worthwhile IMO. But doing the same thing to get 50k points for you, your husband and maybe one or two of your friends then consolidating all the points into one account might be worth it if you consider what you could do with the points.

That whole business brings the cost up significantly (assuming you're paying for the other rooms in exchange for getting the points transferred and getting your collaborators to come along :) ) but the redemption opportunities are significant when you start looking at cat 5-6 hotels in Europe for example. You could be spending $200 (you + 1) for enough points to redeem for hotels that go for €400 a night.

9. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all of your advice! I thought of something I might do today... I am 2 hours off from work on the 29th... I had to take some leave to get my days off before the holiday... a stupid USPS thing... anyhoo... I may drive to Manchester after work... about the same distance... stay over night and meet a friend that lives in NH.... register for a night for my husband in Nashua and have her check in "before he gets there"! I haven't seen her in over 15 years or more so it would be fun! Depends on the weather but it might work out ok for 2 nights! But, I might just say, "forget it"!
    Sorry I wrote miles instead of points.... it would be awesome if it WAS miles!

uggboy, viguera and miles and smiles like this.
  10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good luck!

uggboy likes this.
  11. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely try and pair it with some activities, or maybe even another promotion. Make sure you look at the refundable rates and how far in advance you can cancel due to the weather. I think there were also other Radissons that you could call that would let you pay for the room and you wouldn't have to stay there. Check the threads.

uggboy and miles and smiles like this.
  12. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all of your help and not picking on me or making remarks about the OP like often happens somewhere else...

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well we can pick on you if you want... :)

14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I pick mailbroad for the funniest avatar I've seen all month!
    Your prize is that I have liked every one of your posts. :)

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd drive 300 miles each way if someone was giving me 50k miles for an overnight stay at a Radisson. :)

16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nashua was one of the destinations I was considering for this run.

We would use it to go into Portsmouth which we also greatly enjoy (although less so since the travel book store went under)

As long as someone is sober to drive, Portsmouth can be the day destination and then evening back to Nashua before heading home in the morning.

17. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love Portsmouth! My husband and I have visited Portsmouth a lot! Do you eat at the Friendly Toast when you go there?! They have a serving of onion rings that is almost as big as the table... and they are non-dairy/vegan!
    I actually thought there was a Radisson in Portsmouth... I think I was thinking of the Shearaton. 150 miles is kind of a lot... just to get to Nashua. How far away do you live.? :)

Tenmoc and miles and smiles like this.
  18. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    ha ha Thank you. My husband and I were goofing around with the webcam on our computer!

19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so,

perhaps there is a nice MPer from the Boston area that could check in for you guys so you don't have to make the 150 mile journey???

miles and smiles and mailbroad like this.
  20. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm....

miles and smiles likes this.
  21. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yay! Going with a friend that I do not see much... and she is going to drive!

22. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    And she likes to shop so maybe I will pretend that I enjoy it for a day...

23. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Have her buy you a present! :p Don't you need a guidebook for that vacation you'll be taking with all the miles and points you're gathering? :D

mailbroad likes this.
  24. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friend pointed out that Manchester is only about 10 to 20 minutes away so I may just book a room under my husband's account go in the room for awhile and leave! Or... we could leave Thursday night...
    I just checked and husband and I could go to Estonia for 9,000 points a night! I have to get him a Sapphire Card... which I will do right before our cruise in March... easy to get close to minimum spend... and one of us can get the United Card!

25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL I don't know if you were addicted to the game before, but it sounds like you're well on your way :)