Travellers fake disabilities to skip airport queues

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Oct 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Travellers fake disabilities to skip airport queues ||

This makes me angry, because this undermines people with "real" reduced mobility issues who need "real" help at airports.

YULtide, Jimgotkp and ConsultingChris like this.
  2. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure this makes everyone angry, myself included.

uggboy likes this.
  3. nmt12

nmt12 Member

Status Points:
    That's extremely of poor taste to do that. However, if your that pressed to get on a plane, get to your seat and/or to make sure you have some overhead bend space then.....God Bless. It will never be this serious for me.

Although I am a frequent flyer, I take the easy breezy approach. I don't deal with things I cannot control...That simple. ;)

IDGflygirl and uggboy like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I know people who do it to get better treatment from the TSA, and I can't argue with that.

I'm a person who has a permanent handicap placard and is mobility impaired, but it's not always obvious that I am disabled. For me, I have no problem putting stuff in an overhead bin, it's the act of walking that's difficult. Sometimes people just assume I'm fat and therefore lazy. :( I have always refused wheelchair assistance, but do sometimes use roving carts when gates change and I'm time crunched.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't against the law (HIPPA violation) for an airline to seek proof of a disability?

uggboy likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Believe it is, yes. Doesn't mean they don't treat you rudely sometimes, though. (Though it is more common for passengers to be rude.)

uggboy likes this.
  8. anthstr

anthstr Silver Member

Status Points:
    It isn't HIPPA, but the ADA. It is insane how some people use the ADA to skip around rules in areas outside of aviation as well.

uggboy and desamo like this.
  9. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    My sister uses cane because of artificial hip and knee. She takes her turn at TSA, but acts as if she cannot stand without cane so that they'll give her easier treatment. It seems to work for her.She will board when they announce anyone needing extra time, but other than those two times she does not seek special treatment.

uggboy likes this.