Travellers charged thousands for using mobiles overseas

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Aug 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

AUSTRALIA and New Zealand have teamed up to protect travellers from excessive mobile phone "roaming" fees.

Communications Minister Stephen Conroy and New Zealand Communications Minister Amy Adams this morning release a draft report that looks at ways to cut charges and improve transparency.
    "The draft report makes it clear that telecommunications companies are stinging consumers on trans-Tasman mobile roaming charges and that their profit margins are excessive," Senator Conroy said.

The findings have already prompted the federal government to protect Australians travelling further abroad.

Read More:
    goalie, uggboy and SC Flier like this.
  2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Isn't this why we all purchase local SIM cards when traveling abroad?
    goalie likes this.
  3. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

It amazes me how Americans would want to use ATT or T-Mobile and rack up that kind of money instead of using a local sim card. I travel once a month overseas, and have no problem with clients who want to talk to me can always reach me. Of course if it is midnight where I am they get a voice mail, and I call them back the next day. I have a local number that reaches me wherever I am at in the world as it is on my business card.