Travelingbetter.com Suspending Operations...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MinimumConnectingTime, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MinimumConnectingTime
    Original Member

MinimumConnectingTime Active Member

Status Points:
  2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may have misunderstood but it didn't seem like suspending operations ("I'd encourage all to continue to post here/ check in here"). It seemed to me that from now on JonNYC would simply refrain from posting any inside info he may possess.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Or just not participate himself. Doesn't sound like the site will be dismantled but perhaps much less active like you suggest.

Either way, sad to see it go. :(

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a bit unclear, but it appears that members can still post there, at least for the time being. We'll see where it goes over time.

5. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Active Member

Status Points:
    It's a great board. I check it daily. I certainly hope it survives and remains a place to go for inside and advance information.

TheBeerHunter and Cholula like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds to me like he's taking power back from moderators at the same time. This doesn't sound like he's withdrawing, despite his expressions of disgust. The site was always incredibly careful about having the details correct without any excess chatter at all.

7. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ironically, it was exactly, specifically, precisely and explicitly that; a grump/nasty moment (not on my part, this time-- involving a moderator) that caused the event that killed the goose that laid the golden AAdv info.

Perhaps there's a bit more to it, if one looks carefully enough, but, for now, that's where I put the blame. A tiny collision of personalities (again, not involving me) that in a single day collapsed something that was building for over 3 years.

Of course, contributing, is the fact that both original AA insiders and those within AA who helped support TB and were boosters of same all left over time-- some at AA's insistence. Some for other reasons. And, AA folks who had climbed aboard with very helpful bits of info got scared off as well-- or bored, or busy-- who knows. But support from AA was nonexistent (not overly surprisingly) and that left TB with-- almost literally-- a *single* reliable source of info. Now gone.

Even the extremely helpful, knowledgeable person who had been giving me the heads up on MM/lifetiime changes-- and who most certainly knew what was coming-- cut TB/me off a few months ago. That left me in the position of having "warned" dozens of TB members (and hundreds by extension) of imminent changes with zero ability to ask follow-up questions to this person (like what new AAdv head was going to do with the plan.) That's just shitty behavior, in my book. As well, I had explained before that at one point AA said they were gonna' get involved officially with TB-- only to turn me over to the abject idiots at Weber Shandwick who handle-- very, very poorly-- AA's P.R.

SO, a grumpy/nasty moment between members-- while I was sleeping-- and the whole thing falls apart.

While I've been on both sides of if the project still worked for me, it -was- in some ways a very nice distraction as of late-- at times-- as my brother passed away suddenly last month and my mother is very, very sick.

However, it's hard to "forgive" those who took TB for granted, those who abandoned the project after initially promoting it within AA, those who just took and never gave, those who held a grudge internally from stupid nonsense in the first few months and those who just behaved like petulant, grumpy/nasty children throughout.

A disgusting end to a otherwise very rewarding and interesting experience.

ceieoc, bubb1, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.
  8. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for providing some context to what transpired at TB.com. Sad to see it come to an end, if indeed that is what must happen...

9. MinimumConnectingTime
    Original Member

MinimumConnectingTime Active Member

Status Points:
    JonNYC - your explanation IMO is also why the AA forum is the toilet of FT: Lots of BS, a small group of grumps and nasties who add nothing but condescending snark mixed with bad, uneven moderation. Sorry to hear about your personal situation. Sometimes change is good, so if you do close or walk away from TB, I wish you the best.

10. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    JonNYC - Thank you for providing some perspective. My initial reaction was, let the nasties sort it out by email among themselves, and the remaining TB can continue without them. However, after learning of your personal situation, I understand your need to put yourself and your own life first for a while. Later, if and when you feel like returning to this or another similar project, you'll certainly find a welcoming audience. However this evolves, our best wishes to you.

11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    JonNYC,

While I haven't spent a lot of time on TB in recent months, the info provided was always aces. If TB had the sponsorshipship of Randy and/or Milepoint, it would have been thee travel board for the future.

Thank you.

SC Flier likes this.
  12. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Jon,

I'm very sorry to hear of your brother's tragic passing, I send you my heartfelt condolences. And I will keep your mother in my thoughts with hopes of her returning to better health soon.

The cyber world is a strange thing, I've interacted with you only a couple of times but I eagerly followed your posts on FT and greatly enjoyed and benefitted from TB (I didn't contribute there tho, feeling too minor league for you all). But ever since your personal reply to me (about the initiation of the award co-pay years ago) I've had the feeling that JonNYC is someone I "know" - delusional as that seems. And interestingly, the mental image I have of you is quite exotic - but that's because you sent me a picture of yourself dressed like a sheikh(!)

It sounds like you experienced many hair pulling moments at your TB, but please know that your hard work was extremely appreciated, valued and enjoyed.

And during this hard time you're now experiencing I hope that all the good karma you've put out there over the years by helping so many travelers - finds its way back to you now, and in ways that bring you some comfort.

Mikel likes this.
  13. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the kind words and kind wishes. What TB wold really need is for some knowledgable AA folks who -ARE- able to see the benefit of a place so full of loyal, interested, excited, involved, informed AAdv elites-- and devoid of whining, penny-pinch-bellyaching, haters and cranks-- existing and thriving.

As of now, TB's AA forum serves no purpose-- most everybody there is knwledable about "the basics" and the good info there is easily searchable. So, unless I can get someone willing to figure out situations as they come up (PALL list anomolies, AAward routing rejections, etc., etc)-- literally TB's AA forum will just sort of sit there and do nothing. Again, unless some enlightened souls contact me out of the blue-- as used to happen all the time.

But look at the "AmericanAirlines" experiment on FT-- a bigger insult to the loyal AA elites I don't think you're much more likely to find among the major US airlines on FT. The person who did (or maybe even does-- I assume he still does) handle AA's "on-line" "presence" at Weber is widely and universally regarded as a twit-- yet, the operation lumbers on..

TB even had an invite-only "hidden" area which was designed for any such connected people to provide guidance and insight w/o being in the public eye while doing so. But for about the last 2 years it's gotten very little insider-insight as they dropped off one by one. Was very active at first and I was able to bring a small amount of that info into the "public" TB AA forum-- that was incredibly useful. Weber even had people assigned to "monitor" that hidden area for a while. They were impressed, but, useless.

Chimpy, anabolism and JY1024 like this.
  14. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    A truly wonderful and extremely touching post to me-- much appreciated, as well as everyone else's kind words and thoughts. Might be time to use the 'ole avatar feature! :)

15. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    That's the man I remember, nice to see you again! :p

16. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jon,

Your efforts were much appreciated. Likewise the explanation here. I rarely posed on TB, but certainly checked every time I visited forum.

That all this happened in the brave, (relatively) new cyberworld is not a real surprise. I'm a moderator/admin of an aviation forum & I can tell you that it's a much different attitude than it was 5 years ago. I see some forums heading down the same tube that Usenet went a while ago.... for many of the same reasons.

At the same time, I'm disappointed that corporations (and I don't mean to single any out here) have either ignored or blown-off social media. I guess that's not unexpected, but many don't realize the positive impact it can have. Yeah, I understand the risks involved when you allow employees to participate... but there's risk the other way, too, when folks can't provide information (I point to the TSS forum on FT as an example).

Anyway, good to see you here, and hopefully MP will remain a positive place.

Mikel likes this.
  17. I had not been there in a while. but sorry to see it go.

18. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about your brother and your mother's condition as well, JonNYC.

Nice to see you on MP, I recall you contributed a lot to FT as well. I hadn't read TB that often but when I did it was sure easier to zero in on relevant info...and without the "do a search, you moron" 'tude that pops up too often on FT. Although it hadn't been active much, I appreciated that TB at least gave a shot at a Gov't Travel forum, too.

I agree, it is interesting that most corporations haven't really "got it" regarding an online presence and social media. The advantage from having a good, active rep on a popular flyers forum(s) would pay off so well. SPG and to a lesser extent, CO (now UA) have a pretty good rep participating directly on FT (maybe on MP now?) UA is sometimes active with its Twitter account but still doesn't quite use it ideally.

MinimumConnectingTime likes this.
  19. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I did not know about the TB but wish I had.

Jon, my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. I wish you the best with your Mom and personally understand how hard it is as I have a sick mother as well.

Take good care.

20. As someone whose only role in TB was being one of the original members of the site, I'm appreciative to Jon for being involved in it and providing everything that he did from the beginning until now. I wasn't aware of the circumstances that were involved in this decision until I saw this thread -- either in Jon's personal life or otherwise -- but having seen them, I can only offer my thanks and best wishes for the future. I'm hopeful that the circumstances in Jon's life will be such that things will be different in the future, but if it isn't, I will remain grateful for what we did have there.

If there is any regret that I hold, it is that if TB ends up fading away, then I feel as if I find myself with no frequent flier forum home anymore, so to speak. Due to secondary circumstances that do not need to be aired in this thread, I end this post by saying hello and, in all probability, good-bye to this forum at the same time.

For those people with whom I have been acquainted either there or at other sites, I hope that you are all well, and that we may run across one another at some point in the future.

Mike

21. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    JonNYC:

Wanted to extend thanks for your never-ending hard work and insight into the world of AA. It was a pleasure.

Microwave likes this.
  22. JonNYC - I wanted thank you for all of your hard work on TB over the past few years. As much as I enjoy browsing on FT (and now MP), I often don't have the time to do it. Instead I would be sure to check TB for the latest 'real' information without needing to spend the time sorting through all of the crap on FT. I hope that your abrupt stop to TB will encourage AA people in the know who lurk on TB to start contributing information (if you are even interested in continuing with the project if such info became available again).

I'm glad this thread has popped up on MP. I wanted to send my thanks and condolences to you on TB but did not feel it was appropriate given the nature of the site (and its appeal) as a place for 'information only'. Best of luck in the future.

23. justageek
    Original Member

justageek Active Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to add my thanks to the chorus. Your hard work on that site, both bringing useful information there and keeping out the noise, were tremendously appreciated. Since its founding, the TB AA forum was the only place on the Internet to go for reliable, high signal-to-noise AA info. It's very disappointing to hear that AA and your contacts there don't see the value in cultivating an online relationship with some of their most valuable customers.

Also, my sincere condolences on your brother's passing and your mother's illness.

I hope you'll keep in touch, be it through TB or MP. You've helped countless many of us over the years, and we are truly grateful!

24. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I obviously don't know anything about anything that may be involved, I also refuse to believe that it is not possible to bury the old hatchets and start over. Why not give it a try? In the end we are all interested in learning and sharing travel related info/advice. Everything else is secondary, and maybe not even that .

25. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    If that were to happen, depending on what else was going on, I'd most certainly be interested in either getting back involved myself, or, could easily use TB's existing site/structure and, more importantly, member-base (which is absolutely incredible in terms of quality of membership in every respect) and I'd be happy to help them find some energetic, smart and like-minded volunteers to instantly reanimate the place-- would be a piece of cake.

rchavez and TheDudeAbides like this.