Traveling Without Checking A Bag Endurance Record

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by diver90, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm one of those people that is not a fan of checking baggage due to the time wasted upon arrival and the "occasional" problem with lost luggage. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this. Right now, I am approaching 17 years since I have voluntarily checked a bag (though they did have to pry it out of my hand a few times due to flight cancellations and rebookings, etc.). I've been to Europe, Dubai and throughout Asia and Australia numerous times on business and with our family and we've always had plenty of clothes and other items for the trip.

So, how about you?

2. sleepyintheair
    Original Member

sleepyintheair Silver Member

Status Points:
    You win. I can't remember the last time I checked a 'primary' bag, but I always seem to end up checking a case of wine on the way home at least once a year.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think checking the case of wine can be overlooked. [​IMG]

jmrich1432 likes this.
  4. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    You definitely win - when I subtract 17 years from my age I was still a kid and didn't know enough not to check bags! I haven't checked a bag for personal travel in probably about 10 years. Although I don't travel that much for business, the last couple times I had to check a bag because of all the work related stuff I had to bring. [​IMG]

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    17 years ago is before I was flying (other than rare short hops).

I don't check bags, but has only been for a few years (or so).

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You really win.
    I always avoid checking a bag, however on some trips I end up buying a few things and going over the weight limit- so need to check on the return trip.
    In general, however, the rule is "Never check bags. Never."

7. I often leave with just a hand luggage but I rarely return with just a hand luggage.
    The worst I have done was to leave with a hand luggage with one suitcase, and returning with five suitcases and two hand luggages. All due to shopping. Now I have learnt to take a large fold-up bag for my shopping.

I do not think I can ever win the "hand luggage only" competition.

alex0683de likes this.
  8. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no prize for winning other than the several hundred (or thousand) hours of time that is saved checking in and on the tail end of the flights.

kiwi likes this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the real trick: Traveling Without Checking A Bag Endurance Record while traveling with your wife!

I'm stuck at zero![​IMG]

10. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    mrsdiver90 has learned the drill, as has minidiver90, our daughter. It took several hypnosis sessions and some shock therapy, but once they stopped twitching all I have to do is click this little clicker I have and the packed rollaboards and backpacks magically appear.

I can make myself available for one on one sessions or group therapy as needed. ;)

Chimpy and Chamonix like this.
  11. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely live by the "never ever check luggage rule". I can only claim so for the last few years, though. I learned my lesson when I returned through customs in Miami with a checked bag, re-checked it, then never saw it again. :( of course, the real reason was after going carryon only, I realized how freeing it was, how much time it saves, etc etc.

I've even managed to get my husband and 14 year old daughter on board with the rule!

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  12. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    A challenge that I think is more relevant in this day and age is to travel without checking a bag AND not having your carry-on directed to Delivery-at-aircraft. My new full size Tume has already taken a beating from not being acceptable for AAs Gulliver sized cabins. :mad:

13. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in a wine-growing region, and so I often take locally-sourced bottles of wine with me on my travels as gifts for people I plan to meet. As such, I am forced to check luggage on most of my trips.

One thing I have noticed is that the supposed "hassle factor" is grossly overstated. I've never waited that long, my luggage very seldom gets delayed (maybe one flight in 200, on average) and has never been lost completely. I once had a conversation with a seatmate who told me he was coming back from two weeks in Boston with only carry-on baggage, and how much time he saves by doing it that way. He said he'd been washing his underwear and socks in the bathroom sink of his hotel room.

I asked him how long that took him each time and how often he did it. He said he did it once, and it took about 40 minutes all-told. Then I told him I waited 15 minutes for my suitcase containing two weeks worth of clothes... [​IMG]

I will admit that I do not travel within the US very often - from the sort stories I hear and the sort of things I see at airports while I am there, I readily believe that checked baggage handling is a completely different kettle of fish over there.

Phobia and philcape like this.
  14. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You simply must fly within the US and arrive in Atlanta (ATL) during peak hours of operation. When I HAD to check a bag, I have had waits that are positively mind numbing. One time the battery in my watch died and several of my credit cards expired.[​IMG]

sendaiben and philcape like this.
  15. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been forced to check a carry on three times. I was flying when Canada had banned carry-ons to the States. That really was a PITA.

Other than that the only time I checked a bag was when I surprised the wife with a trip to HNL. It was winter at DEN and she thought we were going to GEG. So I had to let her pack what she wanted to keep up the rouse. I had all the HNL clothes in my backpack. I think she was only mad for a few moments when we got to the gate in SLC and it said HNL. After that all was forgiven. Though I did have to ship the winter clothes back via UPS so she could fill the bag with her Hawai'i treasures.

16. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did that twice in 2002, once domestic and once internationally. After my FRA-ATL flight on Delta, I waited 10 minutes at the first carousel before customs, and maybe 15 at the second after the train ride to the main terminal from the councourses. The domestic trip was EWR-IAD-ATL on United. I can't remember how long I waited for my bags then, but if it had been excessive I would remember it.

Then again, this was 8 years ago. Traffic at ATL has grown a lot since then.

But still - I cannot fathom why anyone would prefer washing clothes in the hotel room sink over waiting 20 minutes for your bag to show up.

17. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You must have wings and a halo. You have been very fortunate. Personally I've never had to wash clothes in the sink but I have had some cleaning / laundry done while on an extended trip.

18. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been able to make a few short weekend trips with my wife when she was able to get everything in her carry-on with a little help from my back-pack.

19. BAppelt
    Original Member

BAppelt Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you do avoid checking with dive equipment. I can't avoid that one even after I take my regs and small item with me in my carry-on.

20. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I alway travel outbound with just a carry-on if I am travelling alone (golf-clubs don't count do they?). When returning, I will often check my bag because every flight home requires at least one connection and often more than one, so I enjoy not having to keep up with a bag while waiting for the next flight. My home base, MOB, usually has luggage unloaded within 10 minutes of arrival.

21. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On dive trips we usually just take mask, fins, snorkle and rent gear there. We've been able to fit those in a duffle and carry-on. Mrsdiver90 has a shortie she brings along in the rollaboard. The rest of our clothes for dive trips is pretty minimal.

22. BAppelt
    Original Member

BAppelt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that explains it. I always end up with a rolling suitcase that has my BC, fins, wetsuit, mask etc. and I just can't avoid checking that. So far, knock on wood, I've always had it come out at the end of a flight.

23. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I downsized to an 18 or 20" a year ago and so far have never had to gate-check (knock on wood).

When I go to a beach with mask, fins, snorkel, it's always somewhere warm enough that the rest of my bag contents are skimpy hot weather clothes, so it all fits easily. I even have room to bring back stuff! On rare occasions we have mailed something home. The bag I had that was lost forever was coming back from Antarctica, so I had checked a bag full of cold weather gear which is so much bulkier than beach clothes! My cold weather hip waders took up a lot of space.

24. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I check bags because when I started I was only on barbie jets, and much prefer regular checking to gate checking. There are more protections and better tracking for when something goes wrong

cockpitvisit likes this.
  25. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops, just realized I haven't used my downsized bags with flippers inside, but they did fit in my 22". Last summer I had to bungee my (don't laugh) hula hoop (it collapses into smaller circles) to the outside of my 18 for a trip and noone bothered me about it, besides asking what it was, lol. It has to go with me again this week, I think I'm going to put it inside a shopping bag or something this time. ;)