Traveling with Lymphedema

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FetePerfection, Oct 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have mild lymphedema in my right arm thanks to some health issues I had to deal with this year. Looks like it's here to stay and since my travel schedule is cranking up, I'd like to hear from others who fly long distances with this condition. I have a compression sleeve which I wear during flight but does anyone have other tips to keep the fluids moving properly?
    Thanks!

KathInJax likes this.
  2. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently sitting in my seat felling my arm swell. Yes, I have my sleeve and gauntlet on, but sometimes that is not enough. If it wasn't such a hassles, I could have brought the cotton stocking, cotton batting, short stretch bandages and masking tape and wrapped my arm at the gate. However, after 7 years of this, I know that I will use my night time sleeve when I get home and where my compression garments for the next couple of days.

I have done my breathing exercises, but there is only so much that can be done until I get home. At that point, I will probably increase my breathing exercises to 3 times a day. In addition, I have found that kettlebell exercises and walking are quite helpful.

3. adventuress

adventuress Silver Member

Status Points:
    WebMD and medicine net have some good tips which would apply to your situation I would think.

4. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    More so than my doctors and therapists?

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Walk, they will let you do finger walks up the walls when you stand up and stretch....
    Many old people have this problem and they still travel...