Traveling to India

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Laptop Nomad, Sep 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be in India for around three weeks. The last time I went I took cash. Is it ok to use an ATM there or do I have to take a lot of cash to get me through three weeks.

anileze, Newscience and jwsky like this.
  2. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    A good place to find information like this from fellow travelers is The Lonely Planet's Thorn tree forum.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or here. Lots of people here visit India, too.

I used ATMs in all of my visits. First was 9 years ago, second was 2 years ago and most recent was this past June/July. If you're going to rural areas get cash before you leave town. Otherwise I've had no issues using ATMs there.

4. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I glad to get this information. The first three days we will be either on the Nepal or Bangladesh border. I will take cash with me for the first three days.

jwsky likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Presumably you are flying in to India from a foreign origin. You should be able to get rupees at an ATM upon arrival.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will have access to multiple (i.e banking companies etc) ATMs in all major cities in India. I use ATMs in India everytime I visit. As to changing cash at the airport, standard rules of changing minimum amount should apply.

Nepal border ? Bangladesh border ? Are you taking a train or bus to cross the border ?

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    For information on all things India (from travel perspective) the forum/site to go is Indiamike.com

Laptop Nomad and jwsky like this.