Traveling Soon? UNICEF Wants Your Donation When You Book Air Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://mashable.com/2013/04/06/unicef-airline-donations/
    [​IMG]

Planning to get away from it all this summer by booking air travel to a far-away locale? Then UNICEF, the United Nations Children's Fund, wants you to make a micro-donation of a dollar or two when you book your flight.

UNICEF is partnering with travel technology company Amadeus, which provides booking engines to 110 airlines worldwide. The system will collect micro-donations from travelers when they book flights for leisure or business. The idea, UNICEF International Fundraising Director Tim Hunter told Mashable, is to collect millions of micro-donations from travelers who want to give a little bit back to the less-fortunate people in the places they visit.

"Certainly if you think about people who are traveling for leisure from rich countries this is part of our wealth consumption, it's part of our disposable income, it's what we do in many ways to enrich our lives, travel the world and experience new things," said Hunter paraphrasing thoughts from Dr. Linda Scott of the University of Oxford's Said Business School.

Read More: http://mashable.com/2013/04/06/unicef-airline-donations/

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    we have been donating on all of our flights, as the attendants have come around with bags to put money in.

sobore and harvson3 like this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As noted in another thread, if the attendants don't come around, you can donate any foreign currency to UNICEF at any AAdmirals Club anytime they're open.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a bookshelf full of those little orange medicine containers filled with coins from around the world. At times I have given them away to kids of friends or coworkers who were collecting coins, but I think I should see if there is a donation box at SFO where I can offload the coins.

marcwint55, sobore and free101girl like this.