Travelers prefer dining at airports instead of on the plane

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Mar 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.traveldailynews.com/page...er-dining-at-airports-instead-of-on-the-plane

Travelers prefer dining at airports instead of on the plane

While the airlines may not be making money on food service, airport restaurants are: According to a survey conducted by GO Airport Express, a Chicago-based ground transportation provider, just 2% of travelers say they purchase food on the plane.

The company, which provides airport shuttles to and from O'Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, polled travelers nationwide; more than 400 people responded.

The number one response to the question on dining preferences when traveling, 55 percent of participants said they eat after going through security. Twenty six percent reported they don't spend any money on food while going from point A to B; they eat before they leave or after they arrive at their destination. Eight percent responded that they bring their own food; four percent said they eat before they go through security and another four percent purchase food to eat while on the plane. Several others commented that time and circumstances dictate where and when they eat while traveling.

http://www.traveldailynews.com/page...er-dining-at-airports-instead-of-on-the-plane

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does not sound like a big surprise to me!;)

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ya think?:D
    I am in the 8% group for the most part but now that Rick Bayless has opened torta restaurants in both 1 & 3 terminal of my hometown airport ORD, I find myself dining after security more & more, especially due to the rocking margaritas served.;)

rwoman, uggboy and viguera like this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think having elbow room as one devours food is a big factor here...

5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And not trying to balance food on what feels like a 5"x5" tray while cutting meat with a knife that's duller than a 2-hour documentary on the history of the thimble...

rwoman likes this.
  6. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not surprising to me either, although 2% is an awfully low number. That would mean that only 3 people on a 150-person plane are ordering food. On my SFO transcons, a lot more than 3 order the meals.

That said, I usually bring food on, especially after a visit to get NY deli.

Sweet Willie and rwoman like this.
  7. More than half of Travelers prefer to eat at the airport after passing through security rather than on-board a plane.