Travelers leave $500G in change at airport security checkpoints

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Nov 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...0g-in-change-at-airport-security-checkpoints/

In the rush to catch their flights, airline passengers left more than $500,000 behind at security checkpoints in each of the past two fiscal years, according to data released by the Transportation Security Administration.

Under current law, the TSA is allowed to keep unclaimed checkpoint money and spend it on aviation security projects, but one congressional lawmaker is pushing a proposal that would redirect the loose change to members of the military.

Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., has introduced legislation that would require the TSA to transfer unclaimed money recovered from airport security checkpoints to nonprofit organizations that operate airport programs in support of the military.

"The TSA has been keeping the pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters from your change purse to pay for their bloated bureaucracy," Miller said in a statement. "If TSA representatives get to play "finders keepers" with your hard-earned cash, what’s the incentive to try to get the loose change to its rightful owners?"

In 2012, more than $531,000 was collected at security checkpoints, up $44,000 from 2011, according to data released by Miller's office. In 2010, passengers left behind $433,000 at TSA checkpoints.

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...0g-in-change-at-airport-security-checkpoints/

Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... to hell with that... I put my change in my jacket pocket or my carry-on. The TSA already gets enough of my money :)

3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    And so does the military!

Why not just use the money for general airport improvements instead?

viguera likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The 500 K is what they report. I would posit that the TSO's pocket at least 10 times that much.

viguera likes this.
  5. marcnyc2001

marcnyc2001 Active Member

Status Points:
    I used to not leave any pennies behind, now I will make damn sure that I don't. I hate the TSA for being ignorant and inefficient and a useless waste of time at the airport and I wouldn't want them to have a PENNY of my money for the disservice they are offering... or the military!

Gargoyle likes this.