Travel with different airlines made by the passenger

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Eloy Fonseca Neto, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone knows if there is a website that we can buy flight tickets combining our choice of airlines, for example from Boston to Seattle, I'd like to go with AA from Bos to JFK, then with sun country to MSP and then with Delta to SEA. I know this is possible only through a Travel Agent.

Thanks

travelmommy and jwsky like this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    kayak.com will often give routings on "multiple airlines".

3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, you can't buy tickets through Kayak, which is what the OP wants to do. Orbitz and Travelocity do offer tickets that cover multiple airlines, so they're worth a look.

4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but what I intended was to personalize my way. If I'm not mistake Kayak, orbitz and travelocity gives me the routing, but they don't let me make my own routing. Am I correct?

travelmommy likes this.
  5. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Using the multi-city option, you should be able to create the routing and airlines that you want to fly.

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    wondering why not just create your own route & then buy from respective airlines themselves?

7. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's a good question. The main reason is it puts all those flights onto one ticket. That makes interlining bags easier and it saves you from having to buy a whole new ticket if you misconnect. It may also help with minimizing change fees if you need to change something later.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    But since they are different airlines (alliances) bags would have to be moved ourselves wouldn't they. Aa is not gonna give our bags to ua for a connection would they? (an example)

9. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, most airlines have an interline agreement with each other, even those outside of their respective alliances. For example, I've interlined bags from United to Ethiopian (years before they joined Star) with no problems.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Orbitz will do it for you automatically while also looking for value fares... Enter your itinerary, and it will display choices for single airlines, a specific alliance airlines or multiple airlines across alliances for you to choose from. You could probably also do your own search but it could be time-consuming and it might not yield the "best value.".

11. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll ask the obvious question...why would you want to do this routing with 3 different airlines? Seems like it's more hassle then its worth. You can do the entire trip with just 2 flights and only use 1 airline (only looked at AA, but i assume DL can be done with 1 or less connection as well). Three flights with three different airlines ( and diffrrent aliances) has disaster written all over it.

LizzyDragon84 and NYCUA1K like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The biggest issue in the OP's example is likely that SunCountry won't interline with the others. Just likeSouthwest won't and like JetBlue has only a small number of interline partners

13. travelmommy

travelmommy Active Member

Status Points:
    That's a very good topic. I'm one who would like sometimes to fly the first leg with delta, then the second with United and the last with AA. But I don't think there is any system available right now that allows us to do that. If anyone knows, please do post.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are plenty of ways to do this. The question is whether you're wiling to pay for the pleasure. In nearly every case you'll be buying a series of one-way tickets on each carrier and that gets expensive in a hurry.

Sedosi and rwoman like this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, Sun Country and Delta use different terminals at MSP; you'd need to go landside and take the light rail.

16. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. You can route it fairly easily on ITA-Matrix, and then print out the detail (with routing information) and purchase on Orbitz, Travelocity etc. Not sure if Sun Country will show up however, for no other reason then I haven't paid attention. (sorry)

UPDATED TO ADD: I did some searching on ITA and Travelocity for kicks, couldn't find Sun Country flights so that's out.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ITA will absolutely show Sun Country flights.
    [​IMG]

The issue, as I noted above, is that SY doesn't interline. That means you cannot buy a single ticket with both SY and DL flights on it. You can buy multiple tickets and fly it but it will price out as multiple one-way flights.

Another similar example where there is limited interline options is JetBlue. Search for non-stop NYC-MCO on ITA. You'll see a bunch of options covering AA, DL, UA and B6. Choose AA on the outbound and you can still pick any of the 4 on the return. Choose B6 on the outbound and only B6 and AA are available. Choose UA and UA, AA and DL are available.

Interline deals are bilateral between the two signatory carriers and that has to be respected in the booking process.

Sedosi likes this.
  18. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd, I ran almost the exact same search and it didn't come up. Different days though, maybe that was it. I was later in the year.

Learn something new every day.

19. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, nevermind. I was searching JFK-MSP Sep 14th, 2012 as part of a full trip based on his first post. So it didn't show up. I did see JetBlue on there so I'm not going crazy. (er) I see what you're saying now and why I couldn't see it at first.

Thanks for the info. (now, back to his thread since I've unintentionally hijacked the thing...sorry)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  20. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel alert
    New chocolate covered raisins at the CLE UC :)
    Much better than the yogurt covered ones usually found here.