Travel Vests - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by agape2travel, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. agape2travel
    Original Member

agape2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I travel a lot on behalf of a charity and we are wondering about travel vests. The airlines keep on cutting back on the luggage and upping the cost. We are considering a travel vest for some of our carry-on (ipod, gum, cards, etc.). Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

2. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    By the way, the one travel vest currently under consideration is made by Scott. Any thoughts?

Tenmoc likes this.
  3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this idea... I had a recent trip to Europe where I took this massive jacket fearing my one day visit to Stockholm would be extremely cold, not realizing that I would punish myself the other 39 days with this huge thing to carry around. But if it had one benefit it would be a ton of pockets all around, 2 on the outside of the chest, 2 inner pockets, two huge pockets at waist, and a few more strategically placed ones... I was able to store almost as much luggage into the jacket which I carried in my hand on the plane and stuffed into the overhead bin, as I could in a small carry-on. In Europe most airlines do not allow more than one carry-on even laptops, but nobody said a peep about the jacket.

4. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's right trueblueflyer! In Europe there has been a real clamp down on carry-on luggage, especially with the discount airlines. My wife and I spend 10 days doing the mission work and then 4 days flying around Europe (21 countries so far) on discount airlines. One airline only allowed 6 kg for the carry-on and charged 25 euros for each check-in bag (max was 15 kg). Ouch!

Kaanapali, Tenmoc and decerbodsubs like this.
  5. resipsa99
    Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw some videos of these on youtube back in Sept. Think they're a good idea as long as you don't forget what's in the pockets, i.e. the dreaded liquids and nailclippers...

Tenmoc and agape2travel like this.
  6. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Europe is doing away with liquids restrictions soon anyway... aren't they?

7. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get it!

It reminds me of back when cargo pants were in fashion / available from stores. I would always fly with the cargo pants on - and ALL the pockets and patches were full of bits and pieces that I wanted to carry-on with me. Pity I haven't seen such trousers for years!

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have tried the cargo pants trick but had a problem keeping the pants up. The weight kept on pulling them down. Perhaps I was putting too much in the pockets. I had somewhere around 4 or 5 pounds in my pocket, mostly electro gizmos. ...As regarding the lifting of the liquid ban in the EU, I have heard rumors.

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts from someone who has actually worn a travel vest...comfortable? Problems? Good points? Bad points?

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried a couple of Scottevests and picked a standard black vest (one good thing about them is their generous return policy). I found them to be very comfortable and most really do expand your carrying capacity a lot. The jackets are light weight (though you stuff may not be). I would recommend you choose (or at least try on) a jacket that is one size bigger than you normally wear, as the pockets expand inwards and this will let it hang better.

I initially intended to wear it while touring around (like the hidden pockets) but for me, even with the light-weight vest, it is too hot to wear in hot Summer weather while walking around town. The other thing I quickly learned was that if you don't fill a pocket the outside is very smooth but if you put too many items in each pocket, the vest can look lumpy, making it obvious that there's pockets inside. Oh, and be careful not to sit on your laptop!

Overall, I'm happy with the vest - just like any other item of clothing, it has a specific purpose and this one fulfills it quite well. For ipod, gum, cards, wallet, and other basics would be great!

If you have time, take a look at their sale page - the selected deal item rotates daily so if you know what you want (vs. wanting to try various styles) it can be worth your while.

BTW - I'm curious about the new sport jacket ... anyone tried it yet?

sagefemme52, Tenmoc, Tim and 3 others like this.
  11. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tinkerer! I wear a 46 R suit so it sounds like I need at least a XL or perhaps a XXL vest. What do you think?

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, they have a sizing guide somewhere on their site. But, really, I'd recommend getting a couple, trying them on and then shipping the rest back to them for a quick refund. Yes, it means extra shipping costs but it also means you get to try them on for size (and color if you or your wife isn't sure of the color you want). That's what we did and are really happy we did so.

Look forward to hearing what you settle on :)

Tenmoc, Chimpy and agape2travel like this.
  13. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestion Tinkerer...I will try it.

Tinkerer and Tenmoc like this.
  14. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the idea of the Scottevests for international travel, as long as they are comfy and aren't that dorky. [​IMG]

15. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your comments. I'd add to your concerns about heat that I also don't take it if the weather is cold. It doesn't fit very well under some jackets (too long and/or bulky). We're in Italy right now, and I took along a heavier jacket than I actually needed - my Scottevest would have worked well under a shell. Since we travel with roll-aboards, space is a consideration - otherwise I'd pack it in the suitcase.

I find it really useful. I can even "wear" a water bottle in one of the inside pockets. With the inside pockets, it doesn't bulge, except to the extent that I bulge. [​IMG] I bought a red one because that was the only one available in my size at the sale price, and I've grown to love it... http://wanderingwarners.blogspot.com/

16. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wow...every helpful info. Thanks!

Tenmoc likes this.
  17. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got mine and I'm pretty impressed. It is a specialty item and not something appropriate all the time. I bought it with the idea of taking it on a planned cruise - can carry stuff around during the day without weighing down my wife's pocketbook the way I usually do!

Fredd, Tenmoc and agape2travel like this.
  18. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't REI carry cargo pants? I would think with their travel/camping selections something like this would be available.

As for the water bottles mentioned in a post above, I use one of REIs collapsible "Platypus" bottles. It really saves space and is of course refillable.

19. ttervooren
    Original Member

ttervooren Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I have cargo pants from TravelSmith. They also have zip-off legs so we can have shorts on when we get to Mexico. They are high quality and very comfortable. The men's have more pockets than the women's but both are good.
    I also bought a travel jacket with lots of pockets from TravelSmith, but did not find it as useful. I'm small (size 4) so the pockets were not big enough for the boarding documents that I usually carry. I use the cargo pants instead.

20. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I first got to liking cargo shorts for summer travel due to all the pockets. But had the same problem with too much weight...especially when I take my belt off to go through security!

I looked around for cargo pants and I've ended up finding some decent ones at thrift stores and occasionally the super discount retailers like TJMaxx or Gabriel Brothers. I like having all my little gadgets, gum, and junk with me on longhauls so I don't have to take up space under the seat in front of me or have to keep getting up.

But of course you can't (or shouldn't) take off cargo pants for security[​IMG] So I've been toying with whether to try out the vest. From reading this, I think I'll give it a shot...my wife's been asking what I want for my birthday anyway.

Tenmoc likes this.
  21. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have a Bass Pro Shop anywhere in your area, they have plenty of cargo shorts and cargo pants. I was surprised as I mentally expected everything to be fishing related, therefore nothing but rubber waders. :) Silly me. And they were far more affordable than REI which I personally think is overpriced.

Old Navy sometimes has great deals on decent looking cargo pants as well.

22. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I saw a few pairs of cargo pants at Sears... they were in the Clearance section, the rest of the normal shelves were filled with skinny jeans, lol

agape2travel likes this.
  23. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of the removable legs. Will have to look into this further!

24. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the original ladies ScotteVest vest and I love it. The pockets really help to reduce the extras you need to carry and distribute the weight. If I have it for a long flight, my money, cards etc are easily kept with me. As mentioned above it is a bit too warm for high summer, but I still got use from it for the to/from travel at a minimum (and some cooler evenings). I believe ScotteVest put out a new version of the lightweight jacket or vest for women, but I haven't tried that out. I also concur on the buy a size up, it'll be more comfortable.

resipsa99 likes this.
  25. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have been looking at the Scottevests and they now have a 'lightweight' version suitable for warmer weather. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this vest?