Travel to SE Asia with miles

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by JRoques, Aug 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. JRoques

JRoques New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

First of all: my apologies if this isn't the place to post this question.

I want to travel to SE Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand, no particular order) next year (at any time - have to check what's the best month) from Dominican Republic (although I can start from Miami).

I tried searching straight up from the AA.com website but it didn't work. What would be the best way? Book a RT to South Korea, Hong Kong or Japan and then look for flights outside of OW?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jorge

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Economy or premium cabin?

How many people?

How many miles do you have, and in which programs?

3. JRoques

JRoques New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

Economy, 2 people. We have around 160,000 AAdvantage miles.

Thanks,
    Jorge

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best oneWorld partner for this trip will probably be Cathay Pacific. Unfortunately, searches on the American Airlines web site don't show Cathay Pacific availability which is why you're not seeing anything when you search AAdvantage.

You can either sign up with another oneWorld frequent flier program that does show Cathay Pacific availability in order to be able to search for it (don't earn miles in that program, you're just getting the membership to access their search engine) or else call AA and have an agent do the search for you over the phone. Obviously, you're in a better position if you do the research yourself. Qantas is one program that will allow you to search Cathay Pacific, I think British Airways is another. Here is a helpful link from Miles Professor.

Unfortunately, if you do wind up on Cathay you will probably have to begin your award flight in Miami, not in the DR. That's because AAdvantage awards require that your over-water carrier publish a route from the origin to the final destination of your award ticket, and Cathay does not appear to publish fares to either Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look for MIA - BKK using BA or Qantas.

CX - USA->HKG->BKK works or even AA/JL USA->NRT->BKK. Maybe even MIA-DOH-BKK on QR?

Then you can buy some cheap intra asia fares (Thai AirAsia maybe?) To get to Vietnam & Cambodia.

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you do an Atlantic crossing or Australia transit to Asia 2 with AA miles on one award? I'm pretty sure that's a big fat "no, two awards please". My understanding is AA routing rules require Pacific routings with only Asia 1 intermediate stops (like NRT/ICN/HKG) to SE Asia.

That being said, MH would be another option once you get to Asia.

I'd probably try to get to KUL, HKG or BKK and stick with cheapo LCC flights after that for getting around the region.

edekba likes this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only allowable transit region for SE Asia is North Asia. No QR exception when traveling to SE Asia.

eponymous_coward and edekba like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoops ... my bad.

KUL ... wouldnt that be too far south?

eponymous_coward likes this.
  9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Too far south to catch an LCC? Probably not. Keep in mind the OP needs Y... Might be harder to find 2Y on CX than MH...

edekba likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    doesnt he still need to get across the pond. I thought MH pulled out of N.A.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, but 2Y might not be as hard to find on AA. Then connect to MH at NRT/ICN/PVG. ;)

edekba likes this.