Travel to San Francisco without going broke in the process

Discussion in 'California' started by sobore, Dec 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nj.com/indulge/index.ssf/2012/12/travel_to_san_francisco_withou.html

Each year, more than 16 million tourists descend on the famed “City by the Bay” to find themselves enchanted with San Francisco’s many charms. From the Golden Gate Bridge to the sea lions sunbathing on Pier 39, from See’s Chocolates to shopping at Union Square, this is a city custom-made for tourists. With such sweeping physical beauty to countless attractions and cultural sites, San Francisco is an urban oasis with it all.

But the question becomes how to enjoy a visit to this notoriously pricey city without going broke in the process. As we discovered recently, it’s not very hard if you plan ahead, bundle some of your sight-seeing packages, and scope out great, inexpensive meals.

Our first budget-savvy move was finding a centrally located, reasonably priced hotel with decent amenities. We opted for The Adante (www.adantehotel.com) on Geary Street, a five-minute walk from the city’s central hub of activity, Union Square. Part of the C-Two boutique hotel chain, the seven-story Adante — at nearly 100 years old — is hardly a glamorous property. It had several things going for it, however: a great location, decent ratings on Trip Advisor (www.tripadvisor.com) and an included continental breakfast. What The Adante lacked in fluffy bath towels, it made up for in cleanliness and location, not to mention price. (We paid less than $90 a night for a room with two double beds, less than half of what is considered the average daily room rate of $188.)

http://www.nj.com/indulge/index.ssf/2012/12/travel_to_san_francisco_withou.html

Kalboz likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh, isn't so pricey for food - tons of excellent ethnic places for not much money and some excellent upper level places that are a (relative) bargain.
    Hotels aren't as bad as NY, .public transport isn't great but it exists.
    Not quite sure why SF got chosen for this particular "honor"

3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel to SF every year for the Macworldexpo. I have to admit it is pricy. What saves me is that this is a paid business trip. But you definitely can find very decent inexpensive places to eat. Public transportation does exist, I've taken a bus on Geary to go to see Camera Obscura by the beach. But generally I prefer to walk around the city. Take a walk to the IC MH from the Market St. and you'll have your workout for the day :)

Kalboz likes this.
  4. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Strange article, with strange recommendations.

SF is a world city and destination and is on the low-priced side compared with, for example, Tokyo, London, New York, Singapore etc. It's a very small place, but with major business and tourist clout; it shouldn't be compared with Des Moines (apologies in advance....)

Kalboz likes this.
  5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The quote about the coldest day was from Mark Twain.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Active Member

Status Points:
    I travel to SF about 3 or 4 times a year. I always use Priceline and most times I can get a hotel in the Union Square / SOMA district for between 80 and $100/night. HotelDealsRevealed and BetterBidding are helpful when booking. Priceline Hotels List - San Francisco. I've never found food that pricey.

One tip: avoid Fishermans Wharf area. It's expensive and, in my opinion, way over-rated.

mattsteg, Kalboz and estnet like this.
  7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you been to NYC lately? ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  8. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can find a lot of cheap eats in NYC.

Betty Boop likes this.
  9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the same is true for San Francisco as well.

Kalboz and newbluesea like this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    a view shared by most of us who live in the area! (Okay maybe it's good if you want to take the kids to pier 33 or is it 39? and can avoid the overpriced food and stuff so they can see the sea lions ;) )

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is my boy Danny all upset because of this tourist trap "ghost"! :D
    [​IMG]

jwsky, foxberg, estnet and 1 other person like this.
  12. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I were just there for some low budget time off of work. You can buy Muni (transit) passes and just wander around. When we wanted to eat, my Yelp phone app found low cost recommended places nearby. We rented bikes and road over the Golden Gate bridge. Then took a $10 ferry back. It was a fun visit in a beautifull city and did not break our bank account.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that the post you were quoting was saying that he never found food in SF to be that pricy. I think you're interpreting it as the opposite. I agree that food is quite reasonable in price.

jwsky and Kalboz like this.