Travel to Philippines...Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by mapenn, Mar 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    100% of my reward travel so far has been domestic so I am way out of my comfort zone here! I have a friend in the Philippines who is organizing a Christian Youth Camp the first week of April and I began to wonder "what if" I just flew out there with my backpack and a guitar to help out. It's short-notice and very impulsive, but could reward travel get me there and back?

Where would I even start? I have some Delta (75K) and American (105K) miles that have not been spoken for yet as well as some UR and FlexPerk points as well. My initial searches on Delta and AA show that I am way short. Where would you run with this crazy idea?

2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which city? Delta will be hard as it is typically round trip and the website is quirky to put it mildly. Your 105kAA may get you to the region if not there and buy a revenue ticket from a city in the area (HKG, SIN, etc ) to your destination.

mapenn likes this.
  3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ironicly enough I was looking at the PI this morning as well. Using AA from what I could find you would have to go via Hong Kong then catch a short flight from there. I was looking at a paid premium econ fare (so i can get max elite points) the the routing was still through HKG on CX (booked through AA of course)

mapenn likes this.
  4. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great cause and I hope things work out for you.

Singapore Flyer and mapenn like this.
  5. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use the AA miles to fly to HKG and then catch the CX flight to MNL. I've booked that route for my parents many times!

Singapore Flyer and mapenn like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL tends to release last minute award space, so using DL miles might not be hopeless. Look either for flights directly into MNL, such as IIRC DTW-MNL-NGO or DTW-NGO-MNL, avoiding NRT (unless you're willing to fly TPAC into HND and change airports in Tokyo). Look also at partner connections on China Southern and China Eastern, which tend to have good award availability. Don't transfer points into DL because inventory can disappear before you complete the award ticket purchase and transfers cannot be reversed.

If you're not an elite, you might be hit with close in booking fees from some FF programs.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  7. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it didn't work out for this year so I sent some cash instead. But I'm getting dates for next year's camp and will start keeping my eyes open on award availability and sales now.. Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I need to probably shore up some AA miles in the meantime.

Clarin, Northern Mindanao, Philippines. So I would have to also figure out how to get there from MNL.

infamousdx and Singapore Flyer like this.
  8. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use your American miles on Cathay airlines. I fly that route from LA all the time.

mapenn likes this.
  9. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are heading to DVO, PAL has direct flights from SIN, so maybe a different option from MNL

mapenn likes this.
  10. linusyanez

linusyanez Member

Status Points:
    Going to the philippines can be a great experience! prices are cheap (if u got USD), lots of world class beaches, accomodations are cheap as well. If you got 1,000 to burn, go to the Philippines for like a week.

11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm far from an expert on the Philippines but I've been doing a little research on this as well. I think that some (if not all carriers) are restricted from charging fuel surcharges for flights originating in the Philippines so a one way ticket on the return might come into play if that is in fact true. Also don't forget to check on what a revenue ticket might cost as the miles you earn could be a good trade off on the right deal. My guess is your talking coach seating, unless you can pump up your miles a little.

12. skippyscage

skippyscage New Member

Status Points:
    Bear in mind that the Philippines is a country that requires you have a ticket out of the coutry.

They don't always ask you at immigration but the outbound carrier is obliged to check this.

I'm actually waiting for a flight BKK-MNL right now and Kuwait Airways noted my outbound PNR etc on check in. In flying out on ANA.