Travel to Cambodia - I recommended OneWorld

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by mrx900, Jul 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my readers emailed me a question about traveling to Cambodia--and wanted to know which airline was best to use. He is planning to go next year, so he has some time to accrue miles.
    I recommended he fly Malaysia Airlines, as they have a flight from KUL-PNH. Malaysia has direct flights from LAX-KUL, and he can connect. Getting AAdvantage miles isn't hard from the latest CITI offers, and since US will merge with AA, he can combine his US miles he has. Does anyone have any input on this?

jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. ttoolkit123

ttoolkit123 New Member

Status Points:
    No , for me india is the best place.

4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most popular destination is REP, and Star Alliance being well represented by asian carriers, has more flights.

5. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    All three of the alliances provide service to PNH via multiple airlines. Getting to REP is much harder on an alliance, though MH does have a daily flight in.

Getting copious quantities of points through CCs is possible for all three as well. Citi (AA), Chase (UA) or AmEx (DL) are all reasonably generous if that's your plan. Chase and Amex also have other partners which might be more helpful depending on where you are starting and how you choose to route the award.

EVA is another option to PNH (1x daily) but they do not fly to REP. And there is only ~1000 miles difference between JFK-TPE-PNH and JKF-HKG-KUL-PNH. Not really enough to worry about IMO. It is a bit more from LAX but, again, not a huge deal when there will probably be an overnight in a transit city anyways because of the schedules.
    I don't think there is any *A metal to REP. Neither BR, SQ nor TG have flights there. Silkair (MI) does but they are not a part of *A despite being part of the SQ family.

In short, there is no single answer to what's "best" for someone in this situation, at least not without many more details. And even then there probably isn't a single answer.

jbcarioca, Kalboz and anileze like this.
  7. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the input everyone ; looks like he has opted to use AA miles, since he already has about 50K, and will get the US Airways MC for another 30K---his travel plans are mid 2014.

8. redbroccoli

redbroccoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    OZ does fly into REP from ICN.
    So, if REP is the final destination I'd do JFK-ICN-REP.
    That saves 1 stop and 1,300 miles. :)

9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the OP states that the flight will be originating at LAX ... then it would be LAX-ICN-REP, with the hope that the pilot won't land before the tarmac! ;)

jbcarioca likes this.