Travel Tipping Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by GeneCMH, Apr 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought this may be an interesting thread to collect information on what are general tipping practices. I suppose we all know to tip at restaurants, the bellman and so on.

What I find uncomfortable sometimes, especially so at more service oriented hotels, is not knowing who or how much to tip.

For example, do you tip doormen, housekeepers, the front desk personnel when they show you the room, what about the floor butlers for simple deliveries, etc?

Your thoughts on who and how much? Perhaps you can also specify your experience as it varies by country?

Kalboz and SC Flier like this.
  2. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    My travel is almost totally business, so I stay the less service oriented hotels. What I do find lately is that the housekeeping service does not take the tip I leave unless I put a note with the tip daily that says "Housekeeping" on it. I tend to tip housekeeping $2/day, 20% for restaurants, and 10-15% for taxis. The rental car shuttle driver gets a $1/bag if they help me with my bags on and off the shuttle bus. These numbers are for domestic travel only though.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, sometimes, I do leave more. Recently at a Texas Land and Cattle I left a 35% tip due to the amazing service I had. Between the hostess that seated me (solo diner at a table with good light for reading my kindle), the totally brand new to waiting tables waitress (who did an outstanding job), and the night manager that also checked up on tables and service to ensure satisfaction of the diners the experience was amazing. There is a fine line between obnoxious interruptions and anticipating exactly when you want a second glass of wine, refill on water, plates cleared, bill served, etc. That night all went absolutely perfect :)

Kalboz likes this.
  4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    At hotels, I typically leave a couple a bucks a day (or a lump sump at the end of a multi-day stay) for the maid, especially if I've asked him/her for something.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to go all TOBB here, as the OP's question is broader, but a prior thread exists on the subject of tipping maids.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rarely tip people, maids yes, taxi drivers sometimes, but mostly it seems to be included into a so-called Service charge!;)

Kalboz likes this.
  7. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    My more awkward moments seem to be with butler service (e.g. morning coffee, packing / unpacking, etc.) and the folks that show you to your room and sometime explain the room as well. Is it normal to tip them and how much?

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually find that "showing to/of the room" unnecessary and awkward, especially when I arrive late in the evening and just want to go to bed asap without the grand tour of each and every feature of the room. And it's especially annoying if I have just arrived at a foreign destination with no coins or small bills yet. Maybe I should hand out (fake) concert tickets ;)

yaychemistry likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    yaychemistry and Kalboz like this.
  11. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rarely carry small bills since I try to do all my purchases on my CCs for the points. Thus if I forget to bring tip money on the way to the airport I sometimes have to race the parking shuttle driver to my bag so I don't feel like I have to tip him. On the way back I usually buy a coffee at the airport just to break my larger bills so I have tip money.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds familiar :) I like the "lazy" shuttle drivers who don't bother getting up from their seats.

yaychemistry likes this.
  13. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel mostly in Asia, so don't tip there at all, other than some rounding up for taxis. Most hotels have a 10% service charge, and I'd figure that would cover most things, except for the, "Oops, I accidentally killed the hooker", body removal situation. ;)

yaychemistry and ducster like this.